Computer beeps 4 times on startup, repeats...

Closed
Big Wong - Apr 21, 2016 at 12:53 PM
 Bernadette - Jun 20, 2016 at 12:20 AM
Hey guys.

I left my computer running for maybe 3 weeks and I've always done this and never had anything happen. I came home and the computer was on, but the screen stayed black and the fan was going somewhat crazy. So I just held the power button to reboot. After that, I would get to the home screen after typing in my password, 2 mins later, the screen went black again and fan went crazy. I tried this like 5 times and still the same results.

So I decided to open up my computer and get some of the dust out thinking it was just overheating. After doing this, I tried turning on my comp and now on startup it beeps 4 times, pauses, then beeps 4 times again and continues this process. Does anyone know what could be wrong with it? I have year and years of pictures and files that I need (i think the hard drive is definitely fine). I just don't want to have to buy a completely new desktop... If anyone has any ideas as to why this is occurring please help me out. Much appreciated, thanks!

1 response

I have a dell studio xps 7100 if that helps with anything
Hey had the same exact problem!
All I did was open the back, and reseat (take out and put back in) all 4 RAM cards (long, thin, green rectangular boards) there's 2 plastic tabs on each side of the cards (so 8 total) they're a little tricky at first & it may feel like you're going to break the cards but they kinda snap in. I noticed that the right side (the side that a tougher to get to) is easier to clip back on, then clip the other side on. Then put the back of the computer back on and plug everything in! Worked perfectly!
Hope this helps!