HDD filled with shortcut files.

Closed
Vinchenzo - May 11, 2016 at 03:22 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - May 11, 2016 at 04:31 PM
Hi.

I recently received a email with a file attached which infected the computer with a ransomware virus. Ransomware is self explanatory and one will be held for ransom to have all your files decrypted. It is in my view that it is impossible to decrypt the files. Paying the ransom using bitcoins is also not worth it because the distributor can not decrypt your files so why pay them? This is a scam going around and it's working. It should also be noted that aparently no Antivirus can stop this locky ransomware.

Ok so I deleted all the Locky files (All the documents images videos music etc as ALL files get infected) I have ran Antivirus searches to check for other malware Trojan and worm viruses and found 51 on one stage and 6 GB on another attempt I feel confident enough to say the pc is virus free.

Now I have tried to restore backed up files and my files on the external hdd open as shortcut files. Obviously they are hidden but how do I get them to stay visible because when I disconnect the external and reconnect it again the files are hidden again. I can not lose the files it is company files for the last 8 years which adds up to over 20k files...

If anyone can assist please do. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Vinchenzo
Related:

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
May 11, 2016 at 04:31 PM
Hello,
# Download USB Fix
  • Launch it, a shortcut will be created on your desktop.

• Choose "Clean" option.
  • A pop-up will follow
    Connect all your external data sources to your PC (Usb keys, sd cards external drives, etc...)
  • Once you're ready, click "OK".
  • While cleaning, you will lose access to your desktop, but this is normal.

The numbers of analyzed and infected elements are displayed.

Tutorial : http://www.en.usbfix.net/2014/02/usbfix-tutorial-clean-option/