Make hard drive bootable

Closed
Bopper Posts 11 Registration date Wednesday August 3, 2016 Status Member Last seen April 5, 2019 - Sep 4, 2016 at 03:39 PM
Bopper Posts 11 Registration date Wednesday August 3, 2016 Status Member Last seen April 5, 2019 - Sep 22, 2016 at 04:46 PM
Hello,

Will someone tell me how to make a hard drive bootable under Windows XP?

I am copying all files from C to D (which will then become the new C drive) and want to ensure the thing will still boot.

The destination drive has NTFS formatting.

Thanks,

Bopper
Related:

3 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Sep 4, 2016 at 07:22 PM
I suggest you use Easeus Tools to copy the hard drive and then switch cables between the two drives (so you will not need to change the BIOS boot settings).

You cn download it here:

https://ccm.net/download/download-380-easeus-partition-master#q=easeus&cur=3&url=%2F

Good luck
Bopper Posts 11 Registration date Wednesday August 3, 2016 Status Member Last seen April 5, 2019
Sep 6, 2016 at 01:17 AM
I downloaded the file you indicated (epm.exe, v11.8, 47.3MB) and installed it.

"Copy partition" is basically what I am trying to do.

When I select
C drive
Wizard/Clone disk wizard
Copy Disk
Next
Select source disk
C
Wizard scans the disk and reports no problems
Next
Select destination disk
D (on this screen the size and file system type of D are stated as
232.89GB and NTFS, which is correct)
Next
Delete partitions on the destination hard disk (which is blank)

At this point D is listed as FAT32 and 37.27 GB. This not correct.

Clicking Next again brings up a box stating that

Destination drive information
Drive letter :D File system :FAT32 Partition size :38162MB

This is as far as I have gone. I want to avoid going further until the program can correctly report the destination drive data.

What else do I need to do?

Thanks,

Bopper
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Sep 6, 2016 at 12:48 PM
If you copy q partition from the C drive to the D drive it will make the partition on D the same size as the C drive. After the copy is complete you can expand the D drive to the full size of the drive.
Bopper Posts 11 Registration date Wednesday August 3, 2016 Status Member Last seen April 5, 2019 > xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019
Sep 8, 2016 at 03:44 AM
I followed the procedure I outlined in the previous post, got basically the same result, but clicked "Finish" anyway.

In the left pane, at the bottom, under the title "Pending Operations" there was: "Copy disk 1 to 2". Hovering the mouse cursor over it makes a bubble saying "Copying disk 1 to 2. This operation need reboot your computer to execute!"

Restarting the computer produced a normal reboot, but when the desktop displayed, there was a message box as follows:

Message box title:
CleanUPUI.exe - Entry Point Not Found

Message box message:
The procedure entry point GetLogicalProcessorInformation could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.DLL.

What do I do now, and what other information do I need to give?

Thanks,

Bopper
Bopper Posts 11 Registration date Wednesday August 3, 2016 Status Member Last seen April 5, 2019
Sep 22, 2016 at 04:46 PM
Hi again,

I did a search for GetLogicalProcessorInformation and was lead ultimately to download the Windows
XP Service Pack 3 from the site

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_windows_xp_service_pack_3.html

The installation of the service pack went well, and subsequently I was able to clone the C drive to
D, which was the plan.

But the new drive won't boot the operating system.

Additionally, I now get a message box at boot (after the desktop displays) saying

Title
CleanUpUI.exe - Application Error

The application failed to initialize properly (0x000001d). click on OK to terminate the
application.

Why will it not boot, and how do I suppress the error message?

The drive jumpers were set to "Master with slave present" for C drive and "Slave" for D drive. These are Western Digital drives.

Thanks,

Bopper