Start-up issues

Closed
Mobleycw Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday September 27, 2016 Status Member Last seen September 28, 2016 - Sep 27, 2016 at 11:24 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Sep 29, 2016 at 04:06 AM
I have Dell Inspiron with Windows 7. I had issues with the screen and hooked up an external monitor. Then I started getting a blue screen , but it still worked as long as I could hit the correct button at startup.
I just now replaced the screen after it was down for a few months. It turns on, but goes to a startup repair screen. It goes through that process then it can't repair automatically. Please help me.
And thank you in advance. I bought this Dell used.

2 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Sep 28, 2016 at 03:44 AM
Hi Mobleycw,

The startup repair screen may indicate a problem with the OS or with the hard drive. Please open the BIOS menu and check if the hard drive is recognized. If the drive is missing, you may need to check the hard drive cables and, if possible, test the drive in a desktop PC. If the drive is listed correctly in BIOS, boot from a Windows installation drive and use the Repair option. If it is not working, you may need to reinstall the OS. Is that an option? Do you have important data stored on the primary partition?

Hope this helps

Mobleycw Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday September 27, 2016 Status Member Last seen September 28, 2016
Sep 28, 2016 at 08:18 PM
Okay. I just turned laptop on. It says Windows is loading files. Then to start up repair. I can't get into any menu to check the hard drive. Do I need to unseat the hard drive? If so,what are the steps to proceed? Thanks again.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Sep 29, 2016 at 04:06 AM
My idea is to check if the hard drive is listed in the BIOS menu. It should be accessible by pressing a specific button at startup. It may be DEL, F2, F10, F11, F12, etc. Information about that button may appear on screen saying something like “Press <Button> to enter Setup”. Once you are in the BIOS menu, check if there is information about the hard drive. If you want to test the hard drive for errors, you should remove it from the laptop and connect it in a PC as a secondary storage drive. That way the desktop PC will boot from its drive and your drive should appear as a storage drive. Download the drive manufacturer’s diagnostic tool and check the drive for errors. If it appears with errors, you must replace the hard drive.