Connected to internet but cannot display a we

Closed
T Floyd - Aug 17, 2009 at 05:39 PM
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 - Aug 20, 2009 at 05:10 PM
Hello,
I have a laptop with vista- 64 bit on it. I haven't had any trouble with the internet until Friday. All of a sudden it won't diplay any webpage. It will check my email but I can't get online. I says IE cannot display the page. I have IE8 on it. I turned off my security stuff, I downloaded all updates, I went through the microsoft troubleshooting guide and checked all that stuff. I downloaded AVG free antivirus the day before it started this, so i uninstalled that too. My desktop is connected to the same router and it is worknig fine. When I run the diagnostic on it, it says that there is nothing wrong with my connection. I can't figure out what the problem is, PLEASE HELP!!!!

4 responses

sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Aug 18, 2009 at 10:32 PM
try this

in a dos box
ipconfig /flushdns enter

then try your browser again.

SORRY THAT WAS FOR XP. THE NEXT MESSAGE IS FOR VISTA
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Aug 18, 2009 at 10:33 PM
try this

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1600/vista_dns_cache_flush/

then try your browser again.
I tried this and still no luck. I can still check my email but not get online! :(
Aug 20, 2009 at 05:10 PM
Try this.
Turn everything off. modem, router and all pc's
turn your modem back on. wait ......wait .....wait......for about 30 seconds or so for your modem to initialise and connect to the internet
turn your router back on ..... wait .....wait, let it go through its self test etc.
when all lights that should be on are on turn your first pc on.
once booted up and ready to use try connecting to internet again.
if this works comence the same procedure for all the other computers that are on the network.

if not,

Try this.

Boot the computer and go into safe mode with networking

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm#03

You can then try browsing the network.

Or

try installing a different browser. I use opera and have no issues in all the time i've used it (about 4 years now)

then, again try browsing the network. if this works then ie8 is blocking access.