ASUS CG5290 machine freezes when booting win7

Closed
Travis - Dec 14, 2009 at 05:49 PM
 Steve - Mar 29, 2010 at 04:01 PM
Hello,

I just bought the ASUS CG5290 desktop from best buy. Now my problem is that when booting the machine everything appears fine until it reveals the "starting windows" screen. It is here that the machine will freeze and not continue. I'll be forced to hold the power button to shut it down and try again. Now the odd thing here is that it sometimes will go through... so the fact that it's not a consistent problem is really making it hard for me to diagnose this.

Things I've tried:
-Reinstalling Windows
-Trying different graphics card drivers
-Forcing the machine to boot with low graphics, in case it's being taxed heavily somehow
-Going into BIOS and looking around, though temperature and the like seems fine but on the other hand I don't know what sort of tempreatures to keep an eye out for.
-Going into BIOS and restoring defaults.
-Completely unplugging the machine and restarting.

I also occasionally have instances where I start the machine and everything runs and I can actually hear the machine play the windows start up music, but the monitor refuses to respond (which is why I initially thought it might be a video card option). In this case the monitor goes into sleep mode because it can't get a signal. However, this doesn't happen often and for all I know could be an unrelated fluke.

For the most part I can play around with the machine all I want before Windows actually loads with no problem. I can also boot into safe mode and have had zero issues with this but can't figure out what to do there other than install different drivers (which hasn't solved anything).

When the machine does successfully boot (a seemingly random occurence) it not once will freeze. I can run plenty of high profile games on max settings with no problems whatsoever and the machine doesn't seem to be overtaxed or anything. Then I boot down for the night and have the exact same problem later when I try to start it again. Likewise, trying to restart the machine from a successful boot leads to the machine freezing yet again.

Any thoughts would be welcome. I haven't the slightest idea of the problem. So any ideas?

For your reference my machine has a core i7 processor and a nvidia GTX260 video card. If there's anything else technical about it you'd like to know then feel free to ask.
Related:

4 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 14, 2009 at 08:20 PM
If this is a new PC. Why don't you just take it back and have them fix it?
It looks like you have tried all things that could go wrong. It might be bad memory, bad hard disk or bad MB.

Good Luck
I have similar problem. On power up maching Stops at the
Asus logo.
Have to power up a second time and it boots fine.
Hopefully Asus will belly up and fix. There are so many of these boxes being sold as refurbished.
Electronicsman
Mar 28, 2010 at 07:34 AM
Not too many people realize it, but all the data running around inside of computer is at such high frequency that it is actually at very high radio frequencies. That's why some computers interfere with some radios, or TVs, if they get too close. Those same signals are running around on the wires inside of the computer. These wires are not shielded and that high frequency data signal can be sent/induced onto other wires and be picked up as badly timed data pulses. Try rearranging the wires inside of the computer a bit. You may just cure the flakey startup by moving the wires a bit.

Another thought is that you can make sure that the screws that hold the mother board to the cabinet are tight. The circuit board uses these to obtain a circuit ground for shielding purposes..Hope this helps.
I also bought one of these crappy ASUS desktops from Best Buy.
I'm having the same problems.
And the hard drive is extremely loud.
Took it back to Best Buy and they would not honor the warranty of this model.
Must be a real lemon!!!