Ask a question Report

How to connect two laptops using LAN cable. [Solved/Closed]

Sandeep - Latest answer on Nov 13, 2012 01:41AM
Hello,
i want to connect two laptops using LAN cable. we want to play Counter strike multiplayer.
so we need help.
kindly explain full steps to perform..
Read more 
Answer
+549
moins plus
To Connect Directly without any other devices

Firstly you need a network crossover cable. Available from most computer stores. This is a special type of cable (not a standard LAN cable)

Secondly Make sure both computers are on the same workgroup. TO do this Right click on My computer, Properties, go to the Computer Name Tab, See what is written in Workgroup. Change one computer by clicking on change and then type in the name of the other computer in the workgroup space down the bottom. Do not make the computer part of a domain. You want Workgroup.

This name change will require a computer reboot.

When both computers are on the same workgroup, we need to set IP Addresses.

In Control Panel, Open Network Settings.
Right click on Local Area Connections and select properties.

Under the heading "This connection uses the following items, Find Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Highlight it, Make sure you don't untick the box, and click on properties
Under the heading Use the following IP Address ENter in the Following on ONE Computer.

IP Address 192.168.0.10
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway LEave Blank

Under the Heading Obtain DNS Serveraddress automatically
Set this to Automatic. Don't enter anything in.

On the second computer Make the IP Address 192.168.0.20
Everything else the same.

This should be all.

Ankur- Apr 11, 2010 12:17AM
thank u very much ...
Kuncring- Jun 9, 2010 12:58PM
@lil if its not blinking that suppose to mean that you didnt install your ethernet controller driver.. you should install it first.. after that it will connected
MAHESWARAN- Nov 7, 2012 04:20AM
Nice.Thanks for sharing.
Satywan Kadam- Nov 10, 2012 03:54AM
Thank U Boss..........
firework- Nov 13, 2012 01:41AM
Somewhat help full
Answer
+48
moins plus
if it still doesn't work then use the following config :
on first comp

on other one use this

Answer
+34
moins plus
WATCH THIS VIDEO.
COPY & PASTE IN AN OPEN BROWSER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNcHChJhBgs

Answer
+32
moins plus
hi if you want to connect two laptop with lan, then simply use a cross cable (cat-5).

Answer
+14
moins plus
You can also connect two laptops using WiFi easily Here is a step by step tutorial that may help http://www.pakblogger.com/connect-two-laptops-using-wifi/

krish- Oct 4, 2009 01:09AM
great....video....it works.....

Every body...tis was really useful 2 me
Answer
+13
moins plus
HI, you can use a crossover cable to network 2 pc wihout using the network hub. otherwise configure your laptop wireless to AdHoc setings

Answer
+10
moins plus
Gave following ip to one PC
ip -> 192.168.1.2
mask -> 255.255.255.0
gateway -> 192.168.1.1

to other PC
ip -> 192.168.1.4
mask -> 255.255.255.0
gateway -> 192.168.1.3

Answer
+8
moins plus
I am unsure on two points.. Is a cross over cable the same as a regular LAN cable? And when you say type the 'name' of the other computer into your 'workgroup' Do you mean the Computer name or the name of the workgroup on the other computer?

Answer
+7
moins plus
when we connect two system using lan ,did we need two cpu,plz tell me in detail how will connect two system using lan and without device?

kiko- Jun 24, 2010 04:01PM
A Local Area Network is a small network which is usually contained within one building or campus. It is usually a private network, unlike the public internet. An Administrator in charge controlls file sharing, access and many other factors. LANs can be connected to public networks like the Internet, with some precautions (against hackers, viruses etc). Usually a firewall/proxy server/router acts as the gateway between the LAN and the Public Network. A popular wired LAN technology is the Ethernet (Sometimes called IEEE 802.3). These days Wireless LANs are becoming popular. They are collectively known as IEEE 802.11 LANs. I could spend hours going into detail about this question, but I won't. Basically the proxy server will go to internet to pull a webpage for the client requesting it. It also will store a copy of this page (cache) for future requests. Another function of the proxy is that is hides the clients IP address from the "outside world", and uses its own. Therefore, the webmaster of the webpage cant see the IP of the client requesting the page because in actuallity the proxy is requesting the page.
LAN
lan stands for the local area network .ie if you are connecting you comouter or devices (printer ) in a specific limited area ie locally .
A LAN allows certain computers on the network to offer their resources (hard disks, floppy disks, CD-ROMs, Printers, Modems, etc.) for use by other computers on the network as if they were their own. Computers that offer resources are called Servers.
Computers called Workstations can attach the resources (typically hard disks and printers) offered by servers as if they were their own. For instance, at AA Company, computer #1 has a C: hard disk and a D: CD-ROM. Computer #2 has a C: hard disk and a D: CD-ROM, but computer #2 also attaches computer #1's C: drive as it's own F: drive. To the user of computer #2 it looks as if drive F: is in his own computer. He can use files and programs from the F: drive just as he can from his own C: drive. The network software module that performs this slight of hand is called the redirector.

A computer can be both a Server and Workstations at the same time, in which case it is called a Peer. Networks without dedicated servers are called peer-to-peer networks. Networks with one or more dedicated servers are called server based networks even though they may also have peers on them.

Back to our example. The network computers #1 and #2 are on has a server, computer #3. Computers #1 and #2 each have a copy of an accounting program on them, but both read and write accounting data to their G: drive, which is actually C: on computer #3. The tape backup unit is on computer #3 and backs up all the accounting data for all the computers every night by backing up its own C: drive.

When computers #1 and #2 are using the accounting software that software is running in their own memories. The server is not involved at all except to offer its hard disk for data storage. This server is called a file server.

Since this is a Windows accounting package it is big and slow and swaps to disk a lot, so each computer has it installed on its own hard disk to get decent performance. In the days of small fast DOS programs, workstations would also load the program from the server, so it only had to be installed once in one place.

When computers #1 and #2 do sorted reports, every record has to be read from the server and sorted in the memory of the workstation and written back to temporary files on the server. This causes a lot of network traffic on a larger network.

Lets say AA Company grows a lot and now still has computers #1, #2 and server #3 but has added additional workstations #4 through #29 - and lots of users of the accounting software. all that network traffic causes the network to get really bogged down and users start to complain.

What AA Company does now is ditch that Windows accounting package and install a new multiprocesor Compaq server running Windows NT. The new accounting package uses the Oracle database program to store its data at the server. This new package actually runs on the server (which is now called an application server because it has applications programs running on it). The workstations just have a client program that asks for records and has input and viewing screens. If a client asks for a sorted report all the work is done at the server, cutting network traffic way down. This is called a Client Server network.

Meanwhile, across town, BX Company started with its accounting on a Xenix host computer with some "green screen" terminals wired to it (instead of PCs like AA Company used). There was no network at all, just a lot of serial cables connecting dumb terminals and printers to the host computer.

As it grew, BX upgraded to a Unix host computer and added some PCs that were also wired back to the host and ran terminal emulation software so they could act as terminals to use the accounting. Some of the PCs also got their own printers, which also act as slave printers to the Unix box. Still no network.

Finally, BX Company needed to exchange marketing and project files among the PCs, so they installed a peer-to-peer network connecting all the PCs, and included their big honk'n Sun Enterprise Unix box in the network too. The PCs dumped the terminal emulation package and use telnet which allows them to act as terminals over the network - no more serial cables. Later they add a Linux box to the network to act as a file server, as an Intranet Web server and as a firewall for their DSL connection to the Internet.
Answer
+6
moins plus
tnx lan..............it works

Answer
+5
moins plus
you need to setup crossover cable, please follow this.
http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-setup-LAN-with-Crossover-Connection

Answer
+5
moins plus
Step 1

Measure the distance between the two computers and write down the length. Purchase an Ethernet crossover cable that is slightly longer than the measured length (see Resources below).

Step 2

Power off both computers completely. Connect one end of the crossover cable to the Ethernet network port on the back of one of the computers. Run the cable across to the other computer, and connect the other end into the computer's Ethernet port.

Step 3

Turn both of the computers back on, and wait for their operating systems to finish loading. Click on the "Start" button on either of the computers and then choose the "Control Panel" option. Scroll down through the list of options, and click on the icon labeled as "System."

Step 4

Wait for a new window to pop up asking if you want to proceed, and click on the "Continue" button. Scroll down to the "Computer Name" heading, and write down the entry listed under "Workgroup."

Step 5

Go to the second computer, and access the System menu in the Control Panel. Scroll down to the Computer Name heading, and click on the "Change" button. Type in the work group name you wrote down earlier in the "Workgroup" text box. Click on the "Apply" button.

Step 6

Restart the computer to save the workgroup change. Navigate back to the Control Panel, and click on the "Network and Sharing Center" icon. Choose the "View Computers and Devices" option to gain access to the other computer's files and folders.

Answer
+4
moins plus
Hi
I tried it, you explained perfectly, but I can't see my other laptop in the network. I did everything. and turned off the firwall as well
is there anything else I should do?
Thanks
L

Prateek- Dec 31, 2008 09:58AM
You need to share something on the other PC. Only then the computer will be displayed in the list.
Answer
+4
moins plus
why dont you try wirless lan for connecting two laptop? for connecting 2 laptop via lan you need a lan cable with pair 2 pair cabling. and then just plug in to both laptop and go to network places then view network connection then right click at network adapter then properties. then give ip as 192.168.0.1 then hit tab then ok. and do the same at onother laptop but use 0.2 at the end of ip add. and then setup a small or office netowrk. thats it enjoy........

Answer
+3
moins plus
HELLO sandeep
did you get any soloution to lan two laptops with etarnet cable
i have same problem ,i want to lan two laptops for browesing internet did u have any idea
pls help me

pcguy- Jan 30, 2009 02:50PM
You have to bridge the wireless connection with the LAN connection on the laptop.

Do a little googling on bridging.
Answer
+3
moins plus
Hello,

first cross cable crimping, after two laptops connectivity the LAN ports. your first checking the lan drivers install or not install. lan drivers install after I.P.Address in LAN.
For Example: I.P. address : 192.168.100.2
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0

Another laptop I.P.Address : 192.168.100.3
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
now ok. run your laptop checking for ur files sharing and enjoy the work.

SONA- Jun 4, 2010 10:20AM
hay permalink just run your pc to small office network and enjoy .... man.
Answer
+2
moins plus
just connect it through.......make sure to set IP,turn off firewall before play any multiplayer games.

Answer
+2
moins plus
I don't know but on Yahoo answers it said the answer.... just go onto to google search how to send itunes music to your phone and it'll be the first option on the list.

Answer
+0
moins plus
Crossover cable's are different than normal Lan cables. You can purchase the crossover cables from any computer shop. They cost around $5. If you want to be more technical about crossover cables, just google it. You can also buy a crossover adapter if you don't want to buy a crossover cable. But yeah, you need a crossover cable to connect 2 PC's to each other.

Answer
+0
moins plus
fantqastic cheers man ^_^

This document entitled « How to connect two laptops using LAN cable. » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.