Connect and view laptop on TV

Closed
Wasco - Feb 15, 2010 at 03:58 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Feb 15, 2010 at 06:37 PM
Hello,

I have an acer aspire 5920 - no HDMi connection - and a Toshiba Regza TV.

I am trying to watch a film from my itunes on the laptop on my TV. I have been using the VGA cable. When I connect the two together they appear to be speaking but my laptop goes completely blank/black. I have been through most of the graphic properties and control panel options.

ANy ideas why my laptop goes blank and what do I need to do to be able to watch a film???!
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 15, 2010 at 06:37 PM
The Function key that enables the vga output port normally has 3 settings 1. laptop only 2. external only 3. both screens. Each time you press the key it goes to the next setting. You might experiment with these.

The TV has been set to receive a signal from the VGA input port? And the laptop screen size is compatible with the TV? A wide screen laptop might not sync with an older TV 4:6 screen.

The vga cable does not transmit sound - so you will need to run a wire from the headphone plug to the TV audio input and configure the TV to accept this input. Impossible to get to work on some TVs.

You might want to experiment with a vga computer monitor attached in place of the TV. That will minimize some of the variables and allow you to find the correct laptop settings.

Good Luck