Hard drive, no data external USB

Closed
victorcab - Oct 7, 2008 at 03:16 PM
victorcab Posts 1 Registration date Monday October 6, 2008 Status Member Last seen October 7, 2008 - Oct 7, 2008 at 08:34 PM
Hello,
I have a hard drive that I have connected externally to a system. The drive was working ok, but there was some issue with permissions. I reset the permissions with the security tab.
Then after a few reboots the drive became unusable, I would get an error and the drive would show 0 k. Could not display properties, chkdsk woudl not run, etc...

The drive was internal to a laptop running XP then I connected external to a system running Vista.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Related:

2 responses

Looks like the drive is dead.

You might try to remove the drive from the external case and check its connections.

If this is a large drive the drive adapter may need more power than the USB plug can deliver. unplug all other USB devices or see about getting an external power supply for the drive adapter.
victorcab Posts 1 Registration date Monday October 6, 2008 Status Member Last seen October 7, 2008
Oct 7, 2008 at 08:34 PM
I even put it back in the laptop where it was working and I get a _ blinking in the upper left of the screen. Has anyone had good experience with utilities that can fix the fat/mbr/etc...without damaging the contents of the drive? I believe there may just be a problem that can be fixed with a better utility. I just don't know which one.