Changing OS

Closed
AndyFok - Sep 11, 2010 at 04:16 AM
closeup22 Posts 8923 Registration date Friday May 15, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 7, 2010 - Sep 19, 2010 at 05:32 AM
Hello,

I actually have Windows Vista on my PC but I am more used to using XP, could you please tell me how to get the operating system changed. Thanks.

Related:

2 responses

xploreraj Posts 23 Registration date Sunday November 8, 2009 Status Member Last seen February 2, 2011
Sep 11, 2010 at 04:37 AM
First of all you require a boot-able disc for Windows XP (Service Pack 2 or 3) with proper serial key. You may find it with your friends or some shop. Make sure the disc has been properly made and tested.

Make sure the OS is compatible with your PC ("x86" meaning 32-bit, or 64-bit).
You might require to collect essential drivers as well that don't come with the disc. Like I separately installed Bluetooth driver after OS installation.

If you wish to just change your OS, no need to format the whole PC, just work on System Drive (C:, by default).

Copy you belongings like photos, musics, profiles (savegames etc.) and place them in other drives so that after format you can reuse them after recopying them to their original locations.

Insert boot-able disc. Restart PC.

Notice you will be asked for pressing some key to start boot (remains for short duration only). Press any key.

Its user friendly, read on and follow the steps.

At some point, it will ask you like to choose drive into which to install the OS. Select drive (In case you want to replace Vista by XP, select system drive (C:, by default).
Now again at some point you will be asked to format the whole partition, select particular system drive only (C:, by default).

Its user-friendly, just read carefully and do it yourself. I did so too. You may also take help from your friends, in case, you get stuck somewhere. 0.1% chance to get stuck if you can handle common English language and are compatible with Windows usage earlier.

Regards,
xploreraj
closeup22 Posts 8923 Registration date Friday May 15, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 7, 2010 2,099
Sep 19, 2010 at 05:32 AM
Hi there,

Its all for a downgrade,here are instructions to be successful in installing xp from vista:

http://ccm.net/faq/2667-moving-from-vista-to-xp

Else you need a dual boot if you wish to keep the vista then use this link:

https://ccm.net/faq/2669-dual-boot-windows-xp-vista

Thanks