Ask a question Report

No sound on tv when i hook up my laptop. HDMI [Solved/Closed]

Matthew - Latest answer on Nov 26, 2012 08:51PM
I have an HP dv9000 and a brand new Phillips TV and when i try to hook then together, the tv displays the picture beautifully but there is no sound on the tv, Just the laptop speakers. PLEASE HELP!!
Read more 

moins plus
Had same problem with Windows 7 and Toshiba laptop and Toshiba TV, video through HDMI cable but sound out of laptop. Was working fine for over a year (both sound and audio out of TV through HDMI) then one day sound just stopped.
Fixed by:
Going to - Start Menu - Control Panel - Sound - Playback tab.
Your TV should be one of the playback devices listed. If not, right click inside the device list box and select 'Show disabled devices'.
Now that TV is listed as a playback device, right click on it and select enable. Then right click again and select 'set as default device'.
Green check mark should now appear on TV icon and sound should now come from TV with video.

Sam- Mar 20, 2011 07:58AM
Champion...worked a treat!!!!!!
me- Apr 18, 2011 10:27AM
thanks, I been fighting with this problems for month I even contact the insurance of my tv and no one can tell me this simple steps that fix the problem.
frustrated- Nov 14, 2012 05:33PM
I am at my witts end, I have the same problem, one day it worked fine the next day poof no sound when I hook up my laptop to my tv via hdmi. I have researched this on six different sites, done about 20 different things in my sound settings. I have a green check mark with my tv and when I test the speakers I got sound comming from them, the volume level is at 100%, however when I go to play a tv show..nothing, I am so frustrated with this, I have tried EVERYTHING, please if someone can help it would be appriciated.
Raj- Nov 17, 2012 08:46AM
Thanks a lot........worked for me !!! :)
moins plus
You probably need to enable the sound on the HDMI/video card. I would check the sound options in the Control Panel.

Good Luck

lox- Nov 8, 2012 08:03PM
it didnt work 4 me... :(
rivo- Nov 14, 2012 09:04AM
thanks a lot :D
Guest2- Nov 15, 2012 12:08AM
Control panel, hardware and sound>sound>manage audio devices, but the "set default" as described above was greyed out so I couldn't click it. So I just temporarily disabled the regular speakers and it worked.
monnnnnnn- Nov 17, 2012 08:44PM
matt- Nov 18, 2012 11:49AM
Mine used to work through my tv and now it stopped... it doesn't show up as an option on my audio devices
moins plus
I had the exact same problem, and none of the solutions worked! I'm running from my laptop to TV via HDMI, and the sound usually projects through the tv once I plug the cable in. The solution I found was to open the Device Manager, and down at the bottom of the list, under system devices, I found that the High Definition Audio Controller was disabled, mysteriously and on its own! I enabled it, and VOILA, the audio was immediately transferred to my TV! I have an external speaker system hooked up to my TV's audio output, so now my laptop is working on a bigger HD screen w/premium stereo sound!

Start Menu - Control Panel - Device Manager - System Devices - High Definition Audio Controller - right click - properties - enable

Hope this helps!

moins plus
"Control panel, hardware and sound>sound>manage audio devices>set default> digital audio device. Change back to spearkers and headphones when done."
[ originally posted by "guest" ]

For those of you who are still having a bit of trouble getting sound through your TV using an HDMI cable, and have following these steps and verified that the TV is being seen as a proper display device, make sure that the volume for the TV display device is also turned up.

When you are in "Manage Audio Devices" (follow description quoted above to get there), right-click the symbol for your TV and click "Test." Then watch the bar to the right of the description to see if it starts moving. If it does, and you still can't hear anything, that means that the sound is working properly, but for some reason the volume is turned down, or off. Right-click the description for your TV, then click "Properties," then click on the tab that says "Levels." There should be a volume slider here, and chances are it is set to 0. Turn it to the volume setting you want, then click "Apply." Now go back and try testing the sound again from the previous page. You should hear some sort of a "chiming" sound. That means that you have done it right.

For some reason, I had my laptop volume turned up as high as it would go, but nothing was coming through the TV. When I turned that slider all the way up, it started working again. However, now my volume hotkeys on my laptop actually effect it, where as it didn't before. I have no idea why, but this solved it.

moins plus
Go 2 ur sound settings and verify ur computer has detected ur audio device and ur driver is located, otherwise install it and check that device as ur default device.

moins plus

moins plus

I was trying to figure this out for ages. I have a HP laptop and have bought a HDMI cabel, connected to TV and no sound.... you need to go to control pannel and sound. Click on the option underneath SPDIF Interface( well thats what mine says!) and set as default. I did this and found it still wouldnt work, the reason was i was playing the film through windows media player- my TV didnt support this fromat, so i then played it through VLC media player and i had sound throught the TV, was simple!! hope this helps.

This document entitled « No sound on tv when i hook up my laptop. HDMI » from CCM ( is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.