Beeping on turn on

Solved/Closed
Redhotanirish Posts 7 Registration date Friday January 4, 2013 Status Member Last seen January 8, 2013 - Jan 5, 2013 at 01:19 PM
Redhotanirish Posts 7 Registration date Friday January 4, 2013 Status Member Last seen January 8, 2013 - Jan 8, 2013 at 01:33 AM
Hello,

I will be forever greatful to all that help me and solve my problem.
My Dell computer beeps 6 times when I turn it on. First 1 beep then 3 then 2. All the same in leangth. The monitor and keyboard do not come on. After reading a lot of the wonderful advice given to others on here I went right to work. I unplugged everything, took out the memory sticks and blew out all dust in and outside and from every nook and cranny of the unit. Plugged everything back in reseated ram sticks and turned it on. Still get the 6 beeps 1 then 3 then 2. Monitor and keyboard don't come on. Any more suggestions???!????
Thank you all in advance for your time and your help.

7 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,167
Jan 5, 2013 at 05:04 PM
Hello

This Kioskea How-to article may help you to interprete the beeps:

https://ccm.net/faq/344-how-to-recognize-computer-beeps
Redhotanirish Posts 7 Registration date Friday January 4, 2013 Status Member Last seen January 8, 2013
Jan 6, 2013 at 03:54 AM
Thank you for that link, but I had already seen and read it. Unless I over looked it, I didn't see my exact beep pattern on there. Anymore suggestions, advice and or ideas ? I was wondering does it matter which stick of ram goes into the first slot? I am 75 percent sure that I put them back in the same order that I took them out? I have 4 slots but only 2 sticks of ram. 1 has more ram then the other. Thanks again for any and all help.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,167
Jan 6, 2013 at 06:01 AM
There is this other link explaining beep errors:

http://ccm.net/faq/9370-know-about-beeps-in-your-computer

The most powerful ram stick must always be inserted in the first slot, the second most powerful in the second and so on.
Redhotanirish Posts 7 Registration date Friday January 4, 2013 Status Member Last seen January 8, 2013
Jan 6, 2013 at 08:53 PM
Thank you so very much for the info. I will check out that link and let you know tomorrow if it helped.
Jan 6, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Ok I couldn't wait until tomorrow. I had to retry tonight. I did look under that link. I checked my ram sticks and I did put them in reverse, so I changed them putting the biggest one first. I also put a new battery in, plugged everything back in, said a prayer and crossed my fingers. Turned it on and well I have some good news and bad. Good news is woo hoo no more beeps and monitor came on. Bad news keyboard no lights, not working and computer didn't boot up. Only screen that comes up just tells me what type and build number of machine. I turned off and replugged in the monitor and changed to the usb keyboards. Turned it back on, same thing. Now what???? Can you please give me anymore of your wonderful advice.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your help.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Jan 7, 2013 at 06:06 AM
Hello,

Gee I wish I could help you further. I don't know how you cleaned the machine but there is obvious physical damage which only a qualified hands-on techician can attend to.

Sorry
Jan 7, 2013 at 07:36 AM
I thought that too at first but then remembered that the reason for switch to my other computer a while back was because it had shut down while I was away and it was in sleep mode. When I tried to turn it back on it started to beep so I turned it off right away. Checked connections in back then turned it on again and it starts to boot up but key board wasn't lighting up or working. So I turned it off changed keyboards turned it back on and it started to beep. Turned it off switch keyboards back and again it tried to boot but no keyboard. I didn't have time to mess with it or look for answers online. So it sat for a about a month then I got the brilliant idea to vacuum and blow out the dust inside with my little shop blower. So what ya think? I think your right and by me dusting it I made a small problem a serious one for lack of knowledge that the beeps were telling me something other then turn me off quick before i blow up and for being to lazy in obtaining the knowledge first before diving in. If there is any thing more you can help me with this mess I would be very grateful. But if not then that's ok I understand, but I am still very grateful for all your time and help that you have given to me up to this point. Thank you so very much.
Jan 7, 2013 at 04:49 PM
Hi,

I understand. I suspected and I was afraid that you used a vacuum cleaner.

You see one should never use a vacuum cleaner or any device that vacuums. A vacuum will cause damage, displace or eat-up miniscule parts, create short circuits if it touches anything.

When cleaning a computer's belly, you should always used canned compressed air which is especially designed for that purpose and which can easily be purchased in any store which sells electronics for about $4 for a large can.

Sorry Red

Best regards
Jan 8, 2013 at 01:33 AM
You know what's really sad is that that little voice kept whispering in my ear, but it was my bad ear so I didn't listen, dang it. Ok I just have one more question for you, my totally awesome friend on here. Should we mark this one as solved now that we are pretty sure that I'm the killer of my computer????? :)) thanks again for all your time and help.

Your forever friend on here;
Red