How to remove write-protection of USB [Solved/Closed]

Ask a question Hsu Linn 2Posts Friday January 10, 2014Registration date January 16, 2014 Last seen - Latest answer on Aug 24, 2016 12:17AM
I try to add or remove to my pen drive, "write-protection" message appear.
In this problem, my pen drive is not write protect because it can add or remove in other computer but only can't in my computer with window XP. How can I do this problem, please give any advice for me.
See more 
Helpful
+12
moins plus
there's a quick way to fix a usb write-protected error.. just make sure to copy all important files as you need to format the disk..

i don't know if it works on damaged or any other errors on usb coz my flash drive kingston datatraveler 100 g3 16gb has only write protect on it.. im using win 8.1 and I have already tried regedit, diskpart, safe mode format, and several usb tool but to no avail.. wasting several hours looking for a fix on a few months old flash drive..

download phison format and restore tool in my case i've used v3.13 I didn't try newer or other versions as my flash disk has been fixed using this one....

insert your usb flash drive.. run the app and click restore and select fat as I did but I dont know if selecting ntfs would also fix the problem..

DON'T REMOVE YOUR FLASH DRIVE EVEN IF IT TELLS YOU TO..
let the program finish and it would tell you to re-insert your flash drive after its completed.. don't follow it and just close the program, do not remove flash drive!!!

instead windows would tell that your flash drive needs formatting so format your drive and don't check quick format then start.. it will format your flash drive for about 5 or 10 minutes I didn't record the time and just browse on internet as the progress bar is very slow LOL.. after formatting your flash drive it will work normally now without the hassle of the write-protected error...
SimonB- Jan 17, 2016 10:07PM
Hi, i've tried everything and cannot figure out why my USB is still write protected. My key controller can't be found using the tools on the site that phison is on as it is an Innoster controller. any help would be great!
Vasso- Jan 29, 2016 07:12AM
Thanks! I have the same usb and nothing else worked!
KeN- Apr 12, 2016 01:13PM
Its work great. Thanks a lot
Kirios S- May 3, 2016 03:44PM
Perfect Tip! The only method that worked for me in my 32gb Datatraveler. Although the steps weren't exactly the same the app ended up in allowing me to go through the traditional format dialog and succeeding!
TY a lot
YEA- Jul 20, 2016 08:20PM
Thank you so much! This worked for me!
Helpful
+11
moins plus
I already opened and tried to change write protect value to zero but in this path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies, I can't find ''StorageDevicePolicies'' in my computer. How can I do? Please give me an answer.
Ambucias 31966Posts mardi 2 février 2010Registration date ModeratorStatus September 27, 2016 Last seen - Jan 12, 2014 04:41PM
go in registry editor press F3 type StorageDevicePolicies to find it
mandy- Oct 22, 2015 05:07AM
i also tried to find out but as you said to find that by pressing f3 key there is not result showing.
please help
raine raine- Feb 3, 2016 11:42AM
i have this problem this morning as I try to check and see whats apps inside my sd card inserted in my old wii console sd slot.
i try to reformat the sd card but its give me a warning "over protected drive"
but the problem is, its not even lock so why I cant reformat the sd card?
i got irritated and by accident I just click and click and click at random things
then pooof! jobs get done and my problem is solve. xD

"JUST FORMAT YOUR SD/USB WITH FAT FORMAT. THEN AFTER THAT JUST SWITCH TO WHATEVER YOU DESIRE LIKE NTSC OR FAT32 then reformat again.
DONT FORGET TO CLICK THE "RESTORE DEVICE DEFAULT" FIRST then NAVIGATE TO FAT FORMAT BEFORE DOING THE THING.

HOPE THIS WORKS FOR YOU TOO! CHEERS! :)

-raine
Alias_Unknown- Jul 5, 2016 06:42AM
You have to create one
Helpful
+6
moins plus
Romz Nov 26, 2013 05:23AM
Hope this will help you...
for windows only

Click start
then run regedit
go to this directory HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Currentcontrolset\control\
if you can't find StorageDevicePolicies under control folder
then make some new one. Follow this steps:

step 1:
go to this directory HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Currentcontrolset\control\
again and right click control folder

step 2:
select new, then click key and rename the new key #1 folder into
StorageDevicePolicies

step 3:
right click StorageDevicePolicies folder and select new DWORD(32-bit) Value
for 32-bit Operating System and select new DWORD(64-bit) Value
for 64-bit Operating System

step 4:
rename dword newer folder into WriteProtect, then double click WriteProtect
and change the value data into 0 with hexadecimal base, Then close regedit

step 5:
open my computer and refresh it 5 times without do anything to your usb, and
properly eject your flash drive

step 6:
plug in your usb again into your computer and format it using exfat instead of fat32

Now, you can use your flash drive again....
Neth- Dec 22, 2015 11:58AM
Thanks its working!
kichu- Mar 14, 2016 02:50PM
Thanks kyros...
abhi- Jun 22, 2016 03:12AM
thanks...........
PIKU- Jul 31, 2016 12:17PM
thanks a LOT
Helpful
+3
moins plus
*1. Open Start Menu

*2. Run, type regedit and press Enter; this will open the registry editor

*3. Navigate to the following path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies*

4. Double click the key WriteProtect in the right pane and set the value to 0 In the Value Data Box. Press OK

*5. Exit Registry

*6. Restart your computer and re-connect your USB pen drive on your computer.
Helpful
+1
moins plus
Thanks for your helpful advice.
I can solve "write-protection" error.
Helpful
+1
moins plus
I try that F3 search and still nothing comes up. Any other ideas on how to fix this. I've got this Sly SL004G that I bought online and it came without the software and now it's just a small paperweight. Thanks for the help.
Alex- Feb 14, 2016 03:50AM
its not working for me :( anything I try just fail .
Helpful
+0
moins plus
It worked for me
harrieze- Aug 24, 2016 12:17AM
thank you very much.. i also tried regedit and cmd but it didnt work both. when i use phison. i successfully fixed my usb flash drive.. thanks a lot. very excellent.

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!