My Internet keeps being Limited

Closed
Newbie56 Posts 9 Registration date Thursday July 17, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 12, 2014 - Oct 11, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Newbie56 Posts 9 Registration date Thursday July 17, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 12, 2014 - Oct 12, 2014 at 03:35 PM
Hello,
I am using a Dell Inspiron 17 3721 Laptop. I keep losing my internet; when I look at the internet icon it has an asterisk and says limited. I have been disconnecting and then rebooting my gateway and cable by turning it off and disconnecting from the cable. You know, the whole route. Then it works fine for awhile usually about once a day I have to do this.
I have been having this problem for quite some time and originally thought it was because my linksys gateway was old (about 9 years). Then My cable company told me it was because they had upgraded to 3.0 and my equipment was 2.0. I have had the cable guy come out and install a really nice router/modem. and still the problem persists. I should mention that sometimes I will have full bars until I open my browser. then it will drop to 1 or 2 bars. My laptop is about 20 feet away from the modem on a straight line with nothing between them. I only get full bars if I am right on top of the modem.

I contacted Dell Support and they checked the laptop and found everything was fine. The drivers are up to date (automatically updated). They suggested that maybe a microwave, refrigerator or TV might cause the problem, but those things are not between the laptop and modem or even close. They then said I should get a wireless booster.

Can this be right? Shouldn't I be able to get a better connection than this without extra equipment?

Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 12, 2014 at 01:21 PM
Do you have a 2.4 GHZ wireless phone close to the router? Can you test using some other device like a smartphone to see if other devices have the same problem.

Good Luck
Newbie56 Posts 9 Registration date Thursday July 17, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 12, 2014
Oct 12, 2014 at 03:35 PM
Thanks for responding xpcman.

No I do not have any of those. My cell phone is not a smart phone and it is the only phone I have. I have full bars until I get 12 feet away from the modem. It then drops to 4 bars. I maintained the 4 bars, after moving back to its usual place, until just now when it dropped to 3 bars as I am typing. There it goes, it seems to wavering between 2 and 4 bars at the moment.