How to recover the data fro External Hard Drive

Closed
klimbs - Mar 21, 2015 at 03:24 AM
carminabigue Posts 620 Registration date Tuesday March 19, 2013 Status Member Last seen June 10, 2015 - Mar 25, 2015 at 10:59 AM
Hello,
I cannot open my External drive (Seegate, 500GB) as it say to format the disc to use, i have data around 350 GB. I have important data. I even tried to solved by Command prompt to, it says that raw data. Help me plz.

2 responses

carminabigue Posts 620 Registration date Tuesday March 19, 2013 Status Member Last seen June 10, 2015 125
Mar 22, 2015 at 08:31 AM
Hi,

Have you tried to Change the Usb cable? sometimes the cable is the only problem on "format the disc to use"

Good Luck!
Dear carminabigue

Thank you so much for your suggestion. It worked.
Thank you
Dear carminabigue

As you have said i have changed the USB cable, i could open it and many files can be read & i thought it worked but few file especially the Image and Video cannot be open still. When i try to open folder with image it says "Drive is not accessible,[Data error {cyclic redundancy check}] "and other is when i try to open the picture (JPG & others too) it says "Window photo viewer cant open this picture because either photo doesn't support this file format or you don't have the latest updated photo viewer" but i can open the similar picture from Desktop.
So i would like to get your suggestion.
Thank you
carminabigue Posts 620 Registration date Tuesday March 19, 2013 Status Member Last seen June 10, 2015 125
Mar 25, 2015 at 10:59 AM
Hi,

Try Start -> Run -> chkdsk drive letter: /f
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Mar 23, 2015 at 03:36 AM
Hi there,

Have you checked the drive in Disk Management? Does it appear as RAW? If it does, that means that the SO have some issues recognizing the drive's file format. I recommend you to try with another USB cable, as you have been advised and check the drive on another PC. Enter Device Manager, find the drive and uninstall it. Restart the PC and plug the drive back in. Use some software from the drive manufacturer's web page to verify drive's condition.

Hope this helps