Sony vaio keyboard is stuck HELP PLEASE!

Closed
Tex93 Posts 2 Registration date Monday May 18, 2015 Status Member Last seen May 20, 2015 - May 18, 2015 at 11:04 AM
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - May 22, 2015 at 07:35 AM
I managed to solve this problem temporarily once, but now it's back. The computer is my mom's so who knows if she got into anything to cause this to happen.

The problem is the keyboard is stuck as if the T key is being held down, the key is not stuck, the only way the computer will actually start up is if I hold down as many keys as possible. The last time I managed to make the problem go away for about a week I uninstalled the keyboard and reinstalled it, I'm hoping to find a more permanent solution.

All help is appreciated!
Related:

1 response

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
May 19, 2015 at 07:38 AM
Hi Tex,

This sounds to me like a keyboard failure. Has she spilled anything on it?

A quick test would be to remove the keyboard and switch it on. Obviously you wont be able to interact unless you add an external keyboard, but if it boots straight away, then you will have isolated it to a keyboard fault.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.
Tex93 Posts 2 Registration date Monday May 18, 2015 Status Member Last seen May 20, 2015
May 20, 2015 at 10:58 PM
The only issue with that is figuring out how to take the thing apart, it's a Sony vaio VGN-B100B any information regarding getting the keyboard out would be beyond helpful.

She says she has not spilled anything on it but the keys are sticky so we think someone else may have spilled something on it
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
May 22, 2015 at 07:35 AM
Sorry for delay in responding.

Please read all of this befor attempting this - just so you know what to expect. Dificulty for a novice - 3/5. Once you do your first one 1/5.

I could only find this pcture of this model.

http://laptoprepair.ca/file/2009-10-04/0d5d05649205d30ae026a83c96ddd2df.JPG

How to do it would be to get to credit cards. One might get dammaged round the edges so use an old one. Starting at the top right using the credit card relese the catch between the case and the keyboard by sliding it upwards. At the same time lift the keyboard using the other credit card. If you want to keep the keyboard try not to use the keys to lift it up with - they might flip off!. The first is fiddly as there is no room to lift the keyboard. When you have done the first one slide one of the cards under the keyboard. move on to the next catch and continue untill all 4 are free. With the top free you can pull the keyboard up (bending it slightly so the 2 (left and right) edges are lower than the middle (only about 5 mm) so the side holders (if there are any) come free. Do not just wip pit the keyboard - it is secured to the rest of the laptop by a ribbon cable. Detach this by lifting up the black flap if there is one on the socket on the laptop - not the keyboard - it "hinges" like a small door.it only opens about 45 degrees. They are quite fragile so dont be rough with it. If there is no flap get back in touch - there are 2 types of fixing this - I have described the most common. The keyboard is now free.

Replacement is a reversal of the removal proceedure except you only need to push the keyboard into its housing. put the bottom un first, do the bendy bit to get the sides in and then push the top at the tabs. Dont forget to attach the ribbon cable first.

The use of credit cards is because the plastic they use is soft and they dont scratch the laptop case.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes.