Laptop won't turn on

Closed
Unholyma Posts 1 Registration date Friday June 19, 2015 Status Member Last seen June 19, 2015 - Jun 19, 2015 at 05:47 PM
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Jun 26, 2015 at 07:25 PM
Laptop won't turn on?
Okay, so I seem to be plagued with laptops and stuff, as amongst all the other stuff that's occurred with laptops, monitors and computers for me, my laptop will now NOT turn on at all. I know for a fact my charger is working fine as when it's plugged in there's a little light on the side of the laptop which is first orange, but soon moves to a white, bright light. I've checked it thoroughly for damage and it looks fine. I came into home from college yesterday, and attempted to turn the laptop on, and got absolutely no result, even when I spam the power button or anything like that, or go for the technique 'Hold the power button for 30 seconds with no battery or charger in, plug the charger back in with no battery', didn't eork . The laptop won't turn on without the battery in, as I've tried with just the charger in, and that won't work. I read online that very same day, I put my battery in a plastic bag and then into the freezer - still no result after taking it out after around 12 hours, letting it go down to room temperature then putting it back in. I have A levels and such I need to be doing, and I really cannot afford a new battery, or a laptop.. I need help asap. I have a Windows 8 HP laptop with like 8 GB of RAM and it was pretty expensive. Thanks for any help.
Related:

1 response

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Jun 20, 2015 at 03:30 PM
Hi Unholyma,

Try a hard reset of your system ...

1) Remove the battery
2) Remove the charger
3) Push and hold the power button on for about 40 seconds - (it wont start as there is no power and you will look silly doing it, but do it anyway)
4) replace the battery
5) Switch it on like normal.

Hopefully it will now be working and you might want to shower me in praise :^)
(if it doesnt work your not allowed to shower me in anything else!)

Let us know if this works.
quickhelpplease Posts 2 Registration date Sunday June 21, 2015 Status Member Last seen June 21, 2015
Jun 21, 2015 at 09:55 PM
I have the same issue and the RESET didn't work. Can you steer ME towards the next step?
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Jun 26, 2015 at 07:25 PM
Next step would be to check the charger in another machine - ideally of the same make and model. Make sure the voltage is correct. It is common for a break in the wire that feeds the power from the charger to the machine to stop the power from reaching the machine. The lights on the charger will show things are normal, but the power is just not getting to the machine.

You could also test the battery indirectly ... try unplugging the battery and powering the machine just with the charger plugged in. If it works then this could indicate a fault with either the battery itself. Also, you could try the battery in another machine of the same type - if you can get access to one.