Laptop keyboard keys not working even after replacement

Closed
kback - Oct 15, 2015 at 06:12 AM
 Kback - Oct 16, 2015 at 01:25 AM
Hello,

I had a Sony Vaio VGN NS 31 M/W running on windows 7 and then upgraded to 10 recently. the keys z,x,v,n,m, comma, and the down arrow key failed one after the other when I was using win-7. nothing has happened to this region of the keyboard in particular when I opened it up for cleaning. I have applied all means of cleanings posted in many fora here. then I upgraded it to win 10 and the problem persisted. it used to work fine with external usb keyboard. I concluded that there would be a hardware defect with the keyboard where I bought a new one of the same exact model. to my complete dismay nothing changed and I ended up in double loss. How can this be related to CPU age or etc. would it be some program installed that it is holding this keys to go dead?. As posted in many articles here or elsewhere, if it was a problem of keyboard, why did the new behaved the same. Software, I tried nearly all suggested fixes before I decided to replace the keyboard. One additional info, if relevant is that my keyboard is originally on German keyboard layout (QWERTZ) but I changed it to English layout when upgrading to Windows 7 but worked fine for over four years.

I would greatly appreciate any one with helping hand.

Related:

3 responses

EdoubleU Posts 109 Registration date Friday August 28, 2015 Status Contributor Last seen November 3, 2015 109
Oct 15, 2015 at 06:45 AM
it sounds like your sticky keys option is turned on. go into the Ease of Access setting and there's an option in there to turn them off. It happens when you push the shift key 5 times consecutively. let us know if you have success with that or not.
thanks for the suggestions; I have tried these even before. I have toggle between on and off those settings. I hope you will come with the next solution. many thanks
EdoubleU Posts 109 Registration date Friday August 28, 2015 Status Contributor Last seen November 3, 2015 109
Oct 15, 2015 at 07:51 PM
do the keys work if you push the control button and whichever key at the same time?
No sir, they don't work
It is very sad. The rest of this pc works with performance equivalent to when it was new.
Thanks again
simmy152 Posts 9 Registration date Friday October 16, 2015 Status Member Last seen October 17, 2015
Oct 16, 2015 at 01:15 AM
Please try to reinstall the driver and then check it is working or not.
Dear simmy152,
I did this in Windows 10 via the device management settings, I am prompted to restart as part of the uninstallation process. When it reboots, I find the keyboard working except those stopped working already. This is also something strange. I expected the keyboard does not work unless I reinstall the driver back.