How to format write protected Hard Drive

Closed
Jess - Jan 25, 2016 at 09:43 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Jan 26, 2016 at 06:29 AM
Hello,
i just got this disk drive and my computer automatically said it needed to be formatted when it was plugged in. I started formatting it and then after quite a few hours it said disk is write protected.... so went to command prompt and it went as follows

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISKPART

Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.10586

Copyright (C) 1999-2013 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: JESSICAPC

DISKPART> LIST DISK

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 931 GB 0 B *
Disk 1 Online 917 GB 0 B

DISKPART> SELECT DISK 1

Disk 1 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> ATTRIBUTES DISK
Current Read-only State : Yes
Read-only : No
Boot Disk : No
Pagefile Disk : No
Hibernation File Disk : No
Crashdump Disk : No
Clustered Disk : No

DISKPART> ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY

Disk attributes cleared successfully.

DISKPART> CLEAN

DiskPart has encountered an error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
See the System Event Log for more information.

Please help!!

Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Jan 26, 2016 at 06:29 AM
Hi Jess,

Could you open Disk Management and check if the drive is correctly recognized with file format and drive letter? Are we talking about an external drive? Using the diskpart command was the right move, but the I/O error may indicate a drive issue. I presume you do not have important data on the drive. Could try using the clean command while booting in Safe Mode with Command Prompt? Select this option from the Advanced Boot Menu, pressing F8 on startup.
Please try the drive with another cable and on another PC to confirm if it is working properly. I would download the drive manufacturer’s diagnostic tool and check the drive for errors.

Hope this helps