WD External Drive missing in my computer [Solved]

Ask a question lcgomez 3Posts Friday January 29, 2016Registration date February 2, 2016 Last seen - Last answered on Nov 7, 2016 02:32AM
Hello :) Please help!! I have external WD hardrive 1 TB contains lots of important data. All of a sudden, it does not appear in my computer. When i tried to check on Disk Management it was visible and healthy but no File System appeared. When I right click the "primary partition" , It shows all other options are remained inactive except "Delete Volume and Help" Please help...I dont want o lose my DATA.
See more 
Helpful
+3
moins plus
Hi Icgomez,

I am sorry for any inconveniency caused by your WD drive. Checking in Disk Management was the right decision. Sadly problems like this may appear unexpectedly. I strongly recommend you to check the drive on another PC and with another USB cable. If the issue persists, I would suggest you to try some data recovery tools or booting from a Linux Live CD. Unix based system may grant you access to your files. If you successfully backup your data, use Data Lifeguard Diagnostic to check the drive for errors. I leave you download link. Is the drive under warranty?
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=66uHBy

Hope this helps

lcgomez- Feb 1, 2016 05:52AM
Thanks for your reply and suggestions, i have tried already to plug into another PC, desktop it does the same thing. Booting from Linux is a new thing to me. though i have done all the possibilities. Regardless of the warranty, all i care is my data.. after that i can used other utility to reformat my HD.
R2D2_WD 3216Posts lunes, 1 de septiembre de 2014Registration date Certified CCM ContributorStatus December 5, 2016 Last seen - Feb 1, 2016 10:12AM
Try with Linux. It could really save your information. No installation is required. You only need to boot from a USB or a CD and check if the drive is recognized. If you have valuable photos or videos on the drive, connecting it to a TV might show better results than with a PC, so try that too. If the TV sees the files, there is a great chance that Linux might see them too.
Check the Downloads section of this forum for some data recovery suggestions:
http://ccm.net/download/file-management-53
Add comment
Helpful
+1
moins plus
I forgot to tell you one thing, Actually, i have first discovered when it was not recognized on my smart tv... the Hard drive contains of HD Movies which i valued a lot more. So when i connecto to my laptop, it doesn't recognize at all and made me nervous about all my important files. I then connected to another desktop it does the same. So the only new for me now which i haven't try yet is to boot on Linux. Hope it will do... Thank again for you kind patience and help.. appreciate a lot :)
Add comment
Helpful
+1
moins plus
I have tried one of the utility you have suggested, " Recover My Files " Its pretty convincing it shows the content of my HD but this apps need to be activated. Are there any other freeware before i go with this? Please see the screenshot below .. Thanks
R2D2_WD 3216Posts lunes, 1 de septiembre de 2014Registration date Certified CCM ContributorStatus December 5, 2016 Last seen - Feb 2, 2016 03:33AM
To be honest, I haven’t used those utilities. I pointed them out because I have heard some good feedback about them. I am really sorry, but as a WD representative, I cannot recommend you any software. I hope someone will suggest something. It is a really good sign that the data appeared. That means that the information is still readable and you only need the right tool.
I hope you will get all your data back.
lcgomez 3Posts Friday January 29, 2016Registration date February 2, 2016 Last seen - Feb 2, 2016 04:20AM
Thanks Buddy!!! Im already in the processed of backing up my files!! I bought another 1TB to transfer all my files.. You guys have brought up this ideas!!! Thank You very much for your help!!! consider this as a solved problem.
Add comment
Helpful
+0
moins plus
I replied to this but its not here ???

Remove from case, Freezer 2 hrs, then lay it on its side longways with the ports up and resting against something at a 65 degree angle, Plug it in, Run HDD regenerator or DRevitalize, DO NOT USE windows built in scanner, Transfer files.
Add comment

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?