WD passport clicking sound and it isn't being recognized

Closed
LeAnn - Sep 29, 2016 at 01:53 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Sep 29, 2016 at 03:01 AM
Hello,

My WD passport was working on min. and now when i plug it in there is a clicking sound and it isn't being recognized. The clicking does stop after a couple of min but still not seen. I have uninstalled and restarted computer and no change. Suggestions?

Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Sep 29, 2016 at 03:01 AM
Hi LeAnn,

I am sorry for any inconveniency caused by your My Passport drive. Uninstalling the device and restarting the PC was a really good idea. When you connected the drive, have you noticed any driver installation? Please open Disk Management and check if the drive appears there with a proper file format and a drive letter. Is it listed in Device Manager, under USB devices?
I strongly recommend you to test the drive on another PC and with another USB cable. If the drive is not visible in Disk Management and the situation is the same even on another PC, unfortunately, there may be a problem with the hard drive. The clicking sound may indicate a mechanical issue which affects the drive’s normal functionality.

Hope this helps