Cant Access my passport Extrenal HDD 1 TB

Closed
JO - Sep 29, 2016 at 02:10 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Sep 29, 2016 at 03:21 AM
Hello,
Hi
I tried the solutions suggested here. However, there's no "Change Drive Letter... nor "Add" upon right clicking. Upon opening the diskmgmt.msc, a pop-up window says "You must initialize a disk before Logical Disk Mngt can access it" And at the bottom, DISK 1 says, "unknown/ not initialized" Although upon right click and properties, the name of the HDD (My Book) may be read...

Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Sep 29, 2016 at 03:21 AM
Hi JO,

I am sorry for any difficulties caused by your Western Digital drive. Is this a new drive or you have been using it for some time before the issue occurred? I strongly recommend you to test the device on another PC and with another USB cable. Do you have important data stored on the drive?
Have in mind that initializing or formatting the hard drive will erase all files stored on it. From the description I got the impression that initialization is not possible through Disk Management, right? If you have no important data on the drive, run the Command Prompt as an Administrator and use the following commands:

DIskaprt
List Disk
Select disk n (n must be the number of the drive)
Clean
Format fs=NTFS quick label=My Book
Assign
Exit

These command should clean partitions, format the drive, name it My Book and assign a letter.
If you have important files stored on the drive, try using a data recovery tool (I leave you a link with some suggestions) or a Data Recovery Company in order to save the data.

https://ccm.net/downloads/tools/file-management/

Hope this helps