Computer stopped after mild explosion and smoke inside box

Closed
bandy - Updated by bandy on 12/01/17 at 02:07 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Jan 13, 2017 at 04:18 AM
Hello,

My desktop computer stopped working after a light explosion and smoke inside the cabinet. I changed the SMPS POWER supply, now there is power supply to the mother board as indicated by the glowing of LED lamp, CPU fan is rotating, but the system is not booting up.

Any help is welcome.

Bandy

Related:

2 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Jan 12, 2017 at 03:42 AM
Hi Bandy,

Unfortunately, it seems like there was a serious problem with your PC. One so called explosion can harm more than just the PSU. It was a good idea to replace it, but sadly, there may be other affected hardware components. I would start by checking the motherboard condition. It is possible that the power ports have been damaged. Another thing to test is the condition of the RAM memory. You may need to seek assistance from a technician.

Hope this helps

Dear R2D2_WD

Thanks. power ports mean CPU, CD, HDD etc. power cords from power supply units? How can I check condition of motherboard?

Power is supplied to motherboard as indicated by LED lamp on motherboard is turned on.
Even without RAM, some initial messages should come in the screen, but there is no signal to the monitor, just blanck.
Thanks
Bandy
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Jan 13, 2017 at 04:18 AM
Talking about power port, I mean the port on the motherboard, where you connect the power supply cable. Unfortunately, the light being green cannot guarantee you that all is running normally. If no RAM is connected, you can expect to hear a beeping noise from the motherboard, indicating that the RAM stick is not connected. If you do not hear any beeping noises, which can actually be a bad sign for the motherboard’s condition.
Unfortunately, it is hard to test hardware in home conditions. That is why I suggested you to seek assistance from a technician. They usually have a lot of spare parts and can check with several until they find which part is failing.