Connecting two computers using a crossover ethernet cable is the safest and easiest way of transferring files, pictures, videos, and music. This data transfer creates a network for sharing data, and using two electronic resources, thus avoiding having a separate networking facility for each computer. This tutorial will explain how to link two computers using an ethernet cable.
How to set up a network between two computers?
The first step is to connect the crossover Ethernet cable to the LAN (RJ45) ports of both computers. Now, follow the directions below working with one computer at a time.
- Start on the desktop of PC 1 and go to My Computer > Properties > Computer Name.
- Change the Computer Name to A and the workgroup name to ABC. Click on OK to save changes.
- Next go to Control Panel > Network Connections. Right-click on your LAN connection and select Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) > Properties and enter the following values:
- All other fields should be left blank. Click on OK to save changes.
- Now take the second computer, and head to My Computer > Properties > Computer Name.
- Change the computer name to B and the workgroup name to ABC. Then click on OK to save your changes.
- Now head to the Control Panel > Network Connections. Right-click on your LAN connection and select Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) > Properties and then enter the following values:
- Leave all other fields blank and click on OK to save your changes.
How to check LAN connection?
After the connections and settings have been saved, both PCs should be connected by LAN. You may need to restart both computers to implement the changes.
- You can check if the connection is working by pinging one PC from the other.
- Take PC1 and head to Start > Run > CMD > ping 192.168.0.2. Then, on PC2, head to Start > Run > CMD > ping 192.168.0.1.
- You can view both PCs in My Network Places.
- You can now use this LAN connection to play multiplayer games or share files. You can also map a drive on another PC to a local drive by going to My Computer > Tools > Map Network Drive and choosing the drive letter and network path of the shared folder on the other PC.
- How to connect pc to pc using crossover cable
- How to use a crossover cable
- Connect two computers with crossover cable windows 10
- SAMSUNG sgh-j600 connect pc with data cable [solved] > Forum - Mobile
- Connecting 2 pc's with a crossover cable
- Connecting 2 pc's with a crossover cable [solved] > Forum - Network
- Connect pc to apple tv > Guide
- Connect Samsung TV to PC: wireless, Windows 10, with HDMI > Guide
- Cannot ping computer on same network: Windows 10, Windows 7
- Get a computer name from IP address in a LAN: command line
- TeamViewer sound sharing: Mac, Android, not working, Ubuntu
- Teamviewer start with Windows: missing, registry
- Set the right MTU: meaning, calculator, settings
- Windows networking commands: with examples, cheat sheet
- How to activate VoLTE in Vodafone India
- Unable to access http://192.168.0.1
- 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.0.1 IP address signification
- List open ports: Windows, Linux
- Cups-pdf for Windows: driver, virtual PDF printer
- Activate Internet booster: Vodafone India
- How to crimp ethernet cable: RJ45 network cable
- Configure WinSCP: to save to an INI File
- Dell Inspiron Bluetooth drivers: installation
- Disable TeamViewer shutdown: greyed out, remote-shutdown
- The list of DNS servers of the major ISPs
- Find your mac address: Windows 10, Linux, Mac
- Network architecture: definition, in computer network
- Freebox "Router" mode
- How to share internet connection: Android