DVD tray keeps opening [Solved/Closed]

Rick - Jun 3, 2009 at 07:47 PM - Latest reply:  BigGimpin
- Feb 27, 2018 at 03:30 AM
Hello,
My DVD tray keeps opening. It will not stay closed more than 5-6 seconds unless the drive is in use. I can still play DVDs, it will read any DVD like it should, the darn thing just will not stay closed. When the drive has no disk in it, it pops open like it would if it were waiting for a disk. Eventually, the tray itself is going to get snagged on someting and physically break off.. Any suggestions?
Thanks
See more 

14 replies

Best answer
closeup22 8933 Posts Friday May 15, 2009Registration date October 7, 2010 Last seen - Nov 22, 2009 at 02:31 AM
Thank you
hi there,

its a hardware mechanic problem

you need to remove the drive

open the casing and clean the dust inside

Thanks

Thank you, closeup22 57

Something to say? Add comment

CCM has helped 1801 users this month

BIOS trick worked - disabled booting from CDROM
I reseated the data cable on hte motherboard. Worked just fine after that.
Thanks, it was just dust. your hint was helpful
Thanks, closeup22! The issue is most likely going to be due to dust if you run into this issue and haven't installed or updated stuff recently before the issue started. If you had been downloading a bunch of files and installing stuff, then you will probably want to run a really good virus and malware scan and also set your computer's boot sequence to boot from the hard drive before the CD/DVD drive! If these troubleshooting tips don't resolve the issue, then you will want to remove the drive, clean it really well, then put it back in making sure all the wires and everything are all seated well. If you make it through all of these troubleshooting steps, the issue should be resolved! If not, your drive has a serious issue and will need the controller board replaced or the whole drive replaced since they are pretty cheap now in days. I know this post is old, but I just ran into this issue and then I found this post that saved me a ton of time! I was able to read through all the solutions, determine the most likely culprit, which I then simply applied the resolution and resolved the issue!! Thank you, Everyone!
Thank you
I have the some problem, my dvd drive keeps opening and closing itself, I scanned using antivirus software,but no virus. the problem is a electronic circuit problem in the drive board, I changed the drive board,it cost me 3 $,
now my dvd drive works well.
Daisysdaddy - Jul 20, 2010 at 03:25 PM
Thank you
I know this is an old post but maybe someone can get some use from it.
All you need to do is update your dvd drivers and it will fix the problem.
Thats what I did. Took care of the problem.
daywish 30 Posts Tuesday December 30, 2008Registration date July 21, 2009 Last seen - Jun 4, 2009 at 10:09 AM
Thank you
This is caused by a virus infection I will advise you to scan the whole pc system this can fix the error! Or may be there's a mechanic problem inside which open the tray when there's nothing inside!
you are right markdizzle its the boot sequence problem, in some cases it might be hardware problem but most of it it is boot sequence problem .
amyryan 1 Posts Tuesday October 9, 2012Registration date October 9, 2012 Last seen - Oct 9, 2012 at 09:44 PM
Thank you
One year ago, I got a iPhone4 and want to enjoy my DVDs on it, so I rip DVDs to my iPhone4, after all work is done, my DVD tray got problem, as your description my DVD tray keeps opening, I got puzzle..
So I go for help to my friend,and he told me update my dvd drivers and fix the problem.
Thats what I did
url deleted by a moderator