DVD tray keeps opening [Solved/Closed]

-
Hello,
My DVD tray keeps opening. It will not stay closed more than 5-6 seconds unless the drive is in use. I can still play DVDs, it will read any DVD like it should, the darn thing just will not stay closed. When the drive has no disk in it, it pops open like it would if it were waiting for a disk. Eventually, the tray itself is going to get snagged on someting and physically break off.. Any suggestions?
Thanks
See more 

2 replies

Best answer
Registration date
Friday May 15, 2009
Last seen
October 7, 2010
Thank you
hi there,
  • Your computer may be configured to look at the cd drive or dvd drive first. When this happens and there is no valid info for opening a os (windows) it tends to open up. This can be fixed by simply changing the order by which the computer looks for information to load the os (boot sequence). This can be done in the BIOS of the computer. Many comuters have diffrent ways in accessing it and it is recommended not to mess around with it if you dont know what you are doing.
  • Your drivers may not be up-to-date. Try to download and install latest drivers.
  • It can also be a hardware mechanic problem. You need to remove the drive, open the casing and clean the dust inside.

Thanks

Thank you, closeup22 60

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM has helped 2386 users this month

BIOS trick worked - disabled booting from CDROM
I reseated the data cable on hte motherboard. Worked just fine after that.
Thanks, it was just dust. your hint was helpful
thanks
Thanks, closeup22! The issue is most likely going to be due to dust if you run into this issue and haven't installed or updated stuff recently before the issue started. If you had been downloading a bunch of files and installing stuff, then you will probably want to run a really good virus and malware scan and also set your computer's boot sequence to boot from the hard drive before the CD/DVD drive! If these troubleshooting tips don't resolve the issue, then you will want to remove the drive, clean it really well, then put it back in making sure all the wires and everything are all seated well. If you make it through all of these troubleshooting steps, the issue should be resolved! If not, your drive has a serious issue and will need the controller board replaced or the whole drive replaced since they are pretty cheap now in days. I know this post is old, but I just ran into this issue and then I found this post that saved me a ton of time! I was able to read through all the solutions, determine the most likely culprit, which I then simply applied the resolution and resolved the issue!! Thank you, Everyone!
Thank you
I know this is an old post but maybe someone can get some use from it.
All you need to do is update your dvd drivers and it will fix the problem.
Thats what I did. Took care of the problem.