Excel - Lookup Query...

Closed
J.dot.E Posts 1 Registration date Thursday April 5, 2018 Status Member Last seen April 5, 2018 - Apr 5, 2018 at 09:24 AM
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 - Apr 5, 2018 at 11:51 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to find something similar to this but I'm having trouble. Im no way an expert but I know my way around and basic functions....

I have a list of addresses in Sheet 1, the whole address is in one cell. So for example A2, A3, A4 all contain a different address. Then in B2, B3, B4 etc I want to display a area code, "3" or "8" for example based on the postcode in the cell in column A.

I have a list of postcodes in Sheet 2 with the area code adjacent to them.

I've tried with a VLOOKUP and a CELL but I cant fathom it out... if anyone can help I would be grateful......

Related:

2 responses

Mazzaropi Posts 1985 Registration date Monday August 16, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 24, 2023 147
Apr 5, 2018 at 11:44 AM
J.dot.E, Good atfernoon.

I'm sorry but your explanation is very superficial

It's necessary that we can have more information about the layout of your spreadsheet so that we can effectively assist you.

Please, save your worksheet to some free website, www.sendspace.com or another and put the download link here.

Remember to show the data you have and put what would be the expected result.

Give some concrete examples so that we can understand your doubt.
--
Belo Horizonte, MG - Brasil.
Marcílio Lobão
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Apr 5, 2018 at 11:51 AM
Hi J.dot.E,

I would advise you to extract the postcode from column A on sheet 1. Not sure how the address is structured, but if the postcode is last, you could use the Right function:
=RIGHT(A2,8)
Or using the 'Text to columns' option found under the Data ribbon, depeding on your format.

Once you have done that, you can use VLOOKUP.

Make a habbit out of placing each type of data (street, number, city, postcode) in a separate cell to make data processing a lot more convenient. It also creates a better overview.

Best regards,
Trowa