So, you made connections with the power on (battery in place)?
Yea, if the battery was still in place, it is toast! YOu can try the battery trick, but I think it is too late. Do this, it can't hurt. Take the battery out, and disconnect the power cord from the wall, and take it apart, if it comes apart into pieces. Press and hold the power button for 60 seconds, count it out the full 60. Wait five minutes (this is the discharge time for the power adapter, if it were storing over voltage). Put it all back together, and try to boot.