Accessing symbols on my Sony Vaio

Closed
Bakeboy - Sep 27, 2018 at 01:48 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Sep 27, 2018 at 02:14 PM
Hi there,

Can anyone explain to me, simply, how to access symbols like ticks on the keyboard of my Sony Vaio (VPCEB3JOE)? Ticks don't figure on the keys so I can only assume I have to press a special key or combination of keys to find such symbols. Can anybody advise, please?

Michael

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Sep 27, 2018 at 02:14 PM
Basic ones like Plus (same as addition), Minus, Equal, Percentile, Multplication (represented by an asterisk), Number Sign should be on your keyboard, look where the "number" keys are located, just below your function keys.
Its possible some of them might be embedded keys located with in other keys, this means you have Press Fn + the key where the sign is also located.
Some complex symbols like Division can be found in Character Map:
Click Start, type: character map
Hit Enter on your keyboard
Click in the Font list box
Scroll down and select 'symbol' as the font choice
There you will see a gallery of symbols, multiplication, division and many others.
Select the one you want, click copy.
Open the program you want to insert it in such as your word processor (Microsoft Word) then click Paste (CTRL + V) Thats it.
If you are running Microsoft Word 2007 or later installed, you can access this from the Insert (tab) > in the Symbols group.