Is it possible to temporarily skip media restore in WhatsApp?

Registration date
Tuesday March 26, 2019
Status
Last seen
March 26, 2019
-
I use WhatsApp on an iPhone X. I have chat history and media backed up on my iCloud. The total size of the backup is around 6 GB.

I had to send in the iPhone X for repair, and I’m using a temporarily loaned iPhone 6.

I restored the WhatsApp chat history from iCloud, but the iPhone 6 is a 16 GB variant. I’m unable to restore the media onto this phone since “system files” are around 11 GB. If I turn off iCloud Drive, it goes down to 7 GB but with that turned off, I can’t backup/restore WhatsApp. The only thing enabled in iCloud Drive is WhatsApp so I don’t know why it’s consuming 4GB on the phone when I haven’t restored media.

Is WhatsApp backup cumulative?

If I skip the media restore, and continue backing up the chat history, will I be able to restore the entire chat history and media on my iPhone X when I get it back? Will the media part of the backup be erased from iCloud if I skip media restore and do a chat history backup on the temporary phone?

See more 

2 replies

Registration date
Monday June 3, 2013
Status
Last seen
October 11, 2019
Thank you
Why do all of this temporary work? Assume you will not be able to restore to multiple devices, and the cloud will be destroyed once you apply onto a device. consider this a security stop gap!
vignesh90
Registration date
Tuesday March 26, 2019
Status
Last seen
March 26, 2019
-
I only use WhatsApp on one device at any time and that makes sense for security purposes. But I should be able to backup and restore to multiple devices when I swap between them, not all at once.
ac3mark
Registration date
Monday June 3, 2013
Status
Last seen
October 11, 2019
1470 -
Ok. Go for it!
vignesh90
Registration date
Tuesday March 26, 2019
Status
Last seen
March 26, 2019
-
Not sure if I'm missing something. What does it mean 'cloud is destroyed when I apply onto a device'? The WhatsApp data is still on iCloud when I restore from a backup and use it on a device. I know that backups done from the same device are cumulative but I'm just curious how it works for multiple devices.

Respond to ac3mark
Registration date
Monday June 3, 2013
Status
Last seen
October 11, 2019
Thank you
What does whatsapp say? Why not just try it then, if you are confident. We cant answer for whatsapp. I was only saying why do temp work. You seem to know what you are doing. If you really want to know, contact whatsapp!
vignesh90
Registration date
Tuesday March 26, 2019
Status
Last seen
March 26, 2019
-
I did and haven't got any response for a long time. Hence asking in forums. Thanks anyway.
ac3mark
Registration date
Monday June 3, 2013
Status
Last seen
October 11, 2019
1470 -
Based on your replies, I do not think any thigg bad will happen. As I said, it seems you know what you are doing.
Respond to ac3mark