Acer R eleven tablet keyboard issues

Closed
pohutukawa Posts 4 Registration date Sunday March 29, 2020 Status Member Last seen April 1, 2020 - Mar 29, 2020 at 08:17 PM
David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   - Apr 2, 2020 at 02:49 AM
Suddenly I cannot use the digit for one. When I try to type one it opens the chrome browser and the letter that comes after p in the alphabet won't type. Every other key is working I think. Please help.
Related:

4 responses

David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   6,926
Apr 1, 2020 at 03:46 AM
Hello, follow these steps that I found on the Acer Support Centre.
  • Shut down your laptop
  • Disconnect the AC adapter
  • Wait few minutes
  • Unplug the AC power adapter.
  • Press and hold the Power button down for 15 seconds. This will perform a software battery reset that may resolve the issue.
  • If your system has a battery pinhole reset on the bottom, insert a small paperclip in the battery reset pinhole and hold the button down for 5 seconds.

Turn on your laptop and see if that has resolved your keyboard issue.

Let me know how you get on!
pohutukawa Posts 4 Registration date Sunday March 29, 2020 Status Member Last seen April 1, 2020
Apr 1, 2020 at 04:49 AM
David, thank you for your reply. This is a tablet not laptop so it has only a very small hole on the back that wouldn't take the end of a paper clip and I haven't anything smaller. I shall ask a neighbour in the morning for a pin or needle. I was unable to do the battery reset. The letter key that doesn't work opens a small speaker level box at the top left of the screen. I took the 2 keys off today to see if there was any obvious dust underneath them. Nothing. My techie has given up. He hasn't had my tablet as we have a complete lock down in New Zealand and I am unable to visit him. I suspect my tablet is maybe on its lasts legs at 5 years old. Caryl
David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   6,926
Apr 1, 2020 at 05:32 AM
Hello Caryl, its the Acer Chromebook R11 / tablet right?

Whilst you wait for that pin, you can try contacting Acer Support NZ.

But it doesn't look like you're the first person to have keyboard issues, on the Acer forums this question popped up.

You could follow their advice and perform a Factory Reset using the following steps, however before doing so you will need to completely backup all information / documents / photos stored on your device.
  • Factory reset your Chromebook
  • Sign out of your Chromebook.
  • Press and hold Ctrl + Alt + Shift + r.
  • Select Restart.
  • In the box that appears, select Powerwash and then Continue.
  • Follow the steps that appear and sign in with your Google Account.

Note: The account you sign in with after you reset your Chromebook will be the owner account.
  • Once you've reset your Chromebook: Follow the onscreen instructions to set up your Chromebook and check if the problem is fixed

Keep me posted!
pohutukawa Posts 4 Registration date Sunday March 29, 2020 Status Member Last seen April 1, 2020
Apr 1, 2020 at 06:20 AM
David, Thanks again. I am not keen to do this as I don't have a current back up, saved most to a thumb drive but that's out of date. I'll go to the forum now. I used an earring in the pinhole but that made no difference.
It's not a chromebook.Model is Aspire R3-131T
Caryl
Apr 1, 2020 at 07:16 AM
Yeah, don't think about doing a full factory reset until you have fully backed up, I don't want you to lose anything important from your PC.

I found this page where they have 4 possible solutions for Acer keyboards.
Apr 1, 2020 at 08:38 PM
Not going ahead with reset. No guarantee it would fix the issues. I'll probably remove the keys to decrease my frustration. Will shop for a new laptop when things settle and we have free movement. Could be 3 months though. Appreciate all your help, David. Caryl
Apr 2, 2020 at 02:49 AM
Caryl, i'm sorry I couldn't be of more use! I hope the keyboard doesn't bother you too much over these next few weeks.

Stay safe in New Zealand!

David