Quality varies between similar phones on same netw

Closed
Bean - Jan 25, 2021 at 05:18 PM
David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   - Feb 16, 2021 at 05:07 AM
Hello,

Is someone able to explain why my mothers phone - iPhone 8 - experiences terrible video calling on WhatsApp with freezing, whilst my iPhone 8 works perfectly well on the same network. She has super fast broad band. 38 up and 7 down. We were both on her WiFi.
Thanks

System Configuration: iPad / Chrome 87.0.4280.77
Related:

1 response

David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   6,925
Jan 27, 2021 at 03:27 AM
Hello, seeing as you both have iPhones - try using FaceTime, this will help you determine whether or not the problem is with the phone itself, or with WhatsApp.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards
David Webb

Content Editor and Community Manager - CCM.net

David, The facetime app on both phones works equally well in parts of her apartment, it is not very large. However, the Whatsapp on my phone is fine, same quality as FT but on mum's phone even if standing right next to the router her WA just freezes.
Any extra thoughts please? many thanks Gillian
David, The facetime app on both phones works equally well in parts of her apartment, it is not very large. However, the Whatsapp on my phone is fine, same quality as FT but on mum's phone even if standing right next to the router her WA just freezes.
Any extra thoughts please? many thanks Gillian
David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   6,925 > Bean
Feb 16, 2021 at 05:07 AM
Hello Gillian, if FaceTime works well, it doesn't sound like its a problem with WhatsApp and not the device (which is good / bad news).

Reading this guide from the WhatsApp help center, they suggest trying the following:
  • Your battery saver and bluetooth connection may also cause issues with WhatsApp calls. If your battery saver is turned on or bluetooth is connected, please try disabling them and let us know if the issue still persists.
  • Additionally, please restart your device and make sure no other application is using your microphone, earpiece or cameras. Please let us know if you're experiencing the same issue on other applications as well as WhatsApp.

Personally, I have a similar problem with WhatsApp dropping out in the room closest to my router... whereas there isn't any problem with FaceTime...

Let me know how you get on!