Dell Inspiron 5566 screen fades

Closed
Darnizhaan Posts 2 Registration date Sunday January 31, 2021 Status Member Last seen March 13, 2021 - Jan 31, 2021 at 02:10 PM
Darnizhaan Posts 2 Registration date Sunday January 31, 2021 Status Member Last seen March 13, 2021 - Mar 13, 2021 at 12:31 AM
Hi,

I am having trouble with my screen fading. It is positional and if I apply pressure to the back, it returns to normal, but I have to keep my hand on the back of the screen applying pressure to use the device.

I used an hdmi cable to connect it to another monitor (smart tv) and there is no problem with using the computer from the other display, so the problem seems to be a hardware one, with the screen only.

My question is, does anyone know if i can just manually tighten the screen and fix this? I would prefer to fix this myself rather than pay someone to do it if possible.

Thank you!
Related:

2 responses

David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   6,926
Feb 1, 2021 at 03:48 AM
Hello, I was able to find this information in the Dell Forum. This was the best answer for someone who had a similar issues to yours.

Run the LCD BIST (LCD diagnostics) on your system to make sure the functionality of the LCD is fine:
  • Turn off the system.
  • Press and hold 'D' and press the power button at the same time; make sure you do not release 'D' until the diagnostics initiates.
  • Please check if the screen fades/flickers when the color bars are displayed.
  • In case the LCD diagnostics pass, I will recommend you to change the power plan settings on your system:
  • Click on 'Start' and type 'Power options' in the search box.
  • Type 'Power options' in the search box and click on 'Power options'.
  • Click on 'Change plan settings' depending on the power plan selected on your system.
  • Click the drop down arrow next to 'Dim the Display' and change it to *'Never' for 'On Battery' as well as for 'Plugged in'.

Click on 'Save changes' and observe your system.
  • In case the issue still persists, check your system in BIOS if the screen dims:
  • Restart your system and keep tapping 'F2' as soon as the Dell logo appears.
  • The system should enter the system setup (BIOS).

Hope this helps,

Regards

David Webb

Content Editor and Community Manager - CCM.net

Darnizhaan Posts 2 Registration date Sunday January 31, 2021 Status Member Last seen March 13, 2021
Mar 13, 2021 at 12:31 AM
Its not a software issue, as far as I can figure. The screen goes back to normal when I push it on the back very firmly. However, I have to hold pressure like that and it is making it unusable.