My WD HDD lights up, fans spin

Closed
percy - Jul 25, 2021 at 01:17 PM
Irina2207 Posts 46 Registration date Friday January 21, 2022 Status Member Last seen June 26, 2023 - Apr 12, 2022 at 06:20 AM
Hello,

My WD HDD lights up, fans spin, but doesnt show up in device manager. I have some important work stuff in it. So would be nice if I got it to run. I was wondering I lost the bill to it but if i took it back to my retailer would the try and get it fixed?
Related:

3 responses

HelpiOS Posts 14310 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 23, 2024 1,891
Updated on Jul 25, 2021 at 05:51 PM
Hi,

I suggest you try connecting it to another USB port or to another computer. I can't tell you for sure if your retailer will try to fix it as you lost the proof of purchase, but you can try to ask them anyway.

Good luck
nathanwirth Posts 324 Registration date Thursday May 22, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 27, 2022 28
Aug 1, 2021 at 08:12 AM
Hi,

As it is not showing in the device manager, I would like to suggest you to check it in disk management also. It might be possible that the device has no assigned letter or turned into RAW format. Check it in disk management, hope then you will be able to fix it.
Irina2207 Posts 46 Registration date Friday January 21, 2022 Status Member Last seen June 26, 2023 33
Apr 12, 2022 at 06:20 AM
Fix 1: Change USB Port

It is the first port of call. The reason is, that there are equal chances of USB Port damage. Thus, plug in your hard drive into another Port to identify the exact cause and confirm whether a problem exists with the drive or not.

Fix 2: Turn On USB Root Hub

Another simple trick to fix the issue. In this, you just have to Turn On all USB Root Hub.

Execution Steps are:

Click Start
Type devmgmt.MSc
Press Enter
Click Device Manager
Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers
Now, right-click on USB Root Hub, choose Properties followed by Power Management
Disable Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
Follow the process for all USB Root Hub
Reboot PC

Fix 3: Clean-up Virus

There are equal chances of virus infection. To resolve it the best solution is to use virus cleaning software. It has the potential to remove the virus from the drive as well as the PC and make your drive accessible.

Situation 2: External Drive Not Working but Blinking

Solution 1: Unhide all Hidden Devices

Go to Start
Type: devmgmt.msc
Hit Enter
Under Device Manager, choose View followed by Show hidden devices
Click on the + sign to expand all notes
Right-click on greyed entries and choose to uninstall
Lastly, reboot the PC and try again

Solution 2: Uninstall Driver

Go to Start
Key in devmgmt. MSC and press Enter
Expand Universal Serial Universal Serial Bus controllers
Right-click on each USB device and click Uninstall
Verify whether there is an unrecognized device or not.
If there is any, click on the Drivers tab and uninstall the drivers
Again, check My Computer/My PC for external drive
If does not show, restart your PC. ( in case if it shows initially but disappears later, then repeat the above step and click on Disk Management -> Change Drive Letter -> Reconnect it)

Solution 3: Change Registry

Modifying the registry is another great approach to fixing the issue. Steps to modify the Registry are:

Go to Start
Type: regedt32 and Hit OK
Backup Registry
Click Export
In left side, click OK, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Delete upper filter or lower filter
Retry External Drive
Now, open your drive to access your data