Received facebook sms code but FB says it couldn't send, check number and resend

Closed
dkscharber - Sep 14, 2021 at 09:22 AM
 rearl - Sep 4, 2022 at 11:33 PM
Hello,
Over the weekend FB disabled my account and asked for my id. I went through the steps and their generic email says the account is reopened and I should be able to log on. Problem is, I can't get past the security check. I only have one phone number in there and when I click "send code" I get the code right away BUT facebook has an error message saying it couldn't send the sms and to retry. There is nowhere to enter the code that I received. It is a total roadblock. I've been researching troubleshooting options but can't find any similar situations. Since I can't get past the security check I can't even use their help community or report the issue. Thanks for any advice you may be able to give me! I run my business on fb and at a very frustrating loss on how to proceed. Thanks!

31 replies

I was hacked after allowing facebook to connect with instagram. This extremely urgent as our business instagram account is linked to facebook. I cannot dispute it because when I click "send code" I get the code right away BUT facebook has an error message saying it couldn't send the sms and to retry. There is nowhere to enter the code that I received. Then I get stuck at "You've requested too many SMS codes. You must wait 24 hours to receive another." BUT it takes longer then 24 hours to retry but there is no where to enter the code. HELP!! URGH
even i cant able to make new account

in this week i lost my fb also ig and also youtube channal.
whenever i create new fb account automatically facebook disable it and idendity problem come. when i send sms to number this error come

Error Sending SMSCould not send confirmation SMS. Please check the phone number and try again.

i receiver sms but where i put it .never trust on fb team .
today is the day they will permanently delete my account. I have heard NOTHING from FB. Very frustrating. Someone at FB supposedly opened a ticket for me but he left the company a few days ago. Very disappointing I will lose all of my memories because someone hacked my account and posted something. I was told this is happening A LOT now so I wish FB would step it up...I can't even open up a new account
Well, I guess this is what's going to happen to me now. February 2022 and the countdown is moving. No way to access, no one to talk with, no way to even open a new account.
Colter1986 Posts 3 Registration date Sunday April 17, 2022 Status Member Last seen April 17, 2022 2
Apr 17, 2022 at 11:34 PM
Same thing.. you ever figure it out
njdenney Posts 1 Registration date Monday April 25, 2022 Status Member Last seen April 25, 2022 1
Apr 25, 2022 at 06:35 AM
How were you able to get someone at FB to open a ticket. I'm in the same boat and am very worried as I now can't access my personal account, both of my business accounts, my messenger, or my Instagram
churney > njdenney Posts 1 Registration date Monday April 25, 2022 Status Member Last seen April 25, 2022
May 4, 2022 at 09:36 PM
This happened to me too on 4/22...I have 17 days left and will lose my personal and business accounts :(
TanjaZZ Posts 3 Registration date Saturday May 14, 2022 Status Member Last seen May 14, 2022 5 > churney
May 14, 2022 at 10:48 AM
Did you resolved this problem?
Just had this issue and got it FINALLY resolved using this method:
0. Close out of Facebook on any browsers you're on
1. Get a VPN and change your IP to a far away foreign country
2. Try to log in and get to the point were it asks you to verify, maybe have it send a text code to you (not sure if it makes a difference)
3. Repeat step 1 and 2 again (I did it a few times, not sure how many is required)
4. Close your browser and disconnect the VPN
5. Try to log in to Facebook again and you should see something asking if you tried to login somewhere else (if you do not get this try again. Might need to get on facebook on a different device while on the VPN and Facebook on your first device)
6. Select "No" that it wasn't you and you should be prompted to reset your password.
7. Create a new password
8. You should get an email saying you changed your password. There should be a link that says "if you didnt do this please secure your account." Click the link!
9. IMPORTANT: Follow the prompts to secure your account by changing your password and it should ask you to delete any emails or phone numbers that you do not recognize.
10. IMPORTANT: Remove your phone number from the account! Then click a time a two to complete the process.
11. If done correctly, once you go back and try to log in again, instead of asking you to verify via SMS it will ask you to upload a picture of your ID.

Bam done. Stupid Facebook.
AndrewStark Posts 1 Registration date Thursday March 31, 2022 Status Member Last seen March 31, 2022 2
Mar 31, 2022 at 10:47 AM
Stranger still and more confusing - When Facebook asks me to reset my password it sends me a code via SMS which I get and it allows me to enter, (so it is recognising my country code/location). It is only at the final security code stage where it asks for a second security code that it sends me the code but does not recognise it has sent it and comes up with an error message. I have the code and cannot enter it. I have even spoken directly to a facebook person in California (I live in Scotland) and had several email conversations with him. They are apparently aware of the issue but have not fixed it. I am currently still ocked out with only about a week left on the clock. Very frustrating indeed.
TanjaZZ Posts 3 Registration date Saturday May 14, 2022 Status Member Last seen May 14, 2022 5 > AndrewStark Posts 1 Registration date Thursday March 31, 2022 Status Member Last seen March 31, 2022
May 14, 2022 at 10:42 AM
Hi, same issue here :-( how dod you speak direktly to facebook person? Where can I find contact?
i have done it and deleted my phone number and sent picture of my ID, it said review will take time just over a day and still stuck there, idk why it take too long, is this happened to you too ? pls reply, thx
Langox510x > Kaezel
Apr 2, 2022 at 01:07 AM
Get a VPN and change your location to Isreal. That worked for me.
livi17 Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday May 24, 2022 Status Member Last seen May 24, 2022 2
Updated on May 24, 2022 at 03:09 PM
I am not sure if this is going to work or not. I followed your instructions. However when I got to step 9, I got the message: "You have requested too many SMS codes. You must wait 24 hours to receive another." So, I'll have to try again tomorrow.

On step 8, When trying to secure my account, I was sent to the page that says "Add a mobile number, We'll send you a text code to confirm the number belongs to you".

I am anticipating that I will be stuck in the same old loop where it says it cannot send an SMS message to my phone number, but I still receive it anyway... and then Facebook does not provide an input field to enter the 6-digit code.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
I'm so pissed we should not be going through this.
An update on my situation: after paying for a VPN and attempting multiple countries, I was finally able to get it to send the code. Now that I had access I was able to dispute to Facebook. The message says within one day they will review but because of Covid it may take longer. It has now been 12 days with the same message. I have eight days remaining before they permanently delete my account. I'm not sure it will postpone automatically the account removal if it is still under review status. Hopefully there will be a change soon. All other methods I previously tried to contact Facebook, no reply on any platform including our business account and emails. Doesn't even seem like anyone works there, seems like its all computers with automated replies.
kayeffcie Posts 8 Registration date Sunday May 29, 2022 Status Member Last seen June 4, 2022 1 > csam
Jun 4, 2022 at 01:26 AM
same :-(
Exact same problem here March 2022. My profile was reported for being fake (working theory) by members of a group with a grudge against the one I admin (didn't know that was thing?!) and now I cannot log in to submit my ID.

I get the SMS immediately but have nowhere to enter it.
Having the same problem. I have tried every approach I can find and always end up back at the send code screen, send the code, receive the code but get the message it couldn't send it and no place to enter the received code. What a nightmare! My business account is linked to my account!
BiggDawg > Khryslmc
May 3, 2022 at 07:48 PM
Exactly, i manage 10 different businesses ,One for a Senior Retirement Community, they rely on the Book , UMMM - like during Hurricanes, ( we are in Florida )
Same here!! get code but no place to enter it!! How frustrating!
How long does it take for facebook to review the decision and is there any way to speed it up?? I have been waiting for 7 days, but Facebook claims that "it usually takes just over a day to review your information."
Honestly, for me it took 5 minutes after I got a VPN. My location according to the VPN was Isreal.
kayeffcie Posts 8 Registration date Sunday May 29, 2022 Status Member Last seen June 4, 2022 1 > Langox510x
Jun 4, 2022 at 01:28 AM
5 mins to get past the sms loop or 5 mins to regain access to you full account? i also did the VPN hack to get out of that sms loop but then after i uploaded my ID, i just got a popup thanks, we'll review, or maybe we never will cuz we're busy. and btw your account will be permanently deleted after 30 days (from day 1 of this nightmare).
if you were able to get a review, do you know how that happened? love to know.
Truthfan > kayeffcie Posts 8 Registration date Sunday May 29, 2022 Status Member Last seen June 4, 2022
Aug 4, 2022 at 06:26 AM

Hi,

I thought I would share my experience. My fb page was hacked (the hackers purchased an old domain name I let expire and used this to create an email account that matched my fb recovery email address. They used this to reset my password and then run FB adds using my account. They then posted child exploitation content that got my account banned.) 
Using tips from this thread I managed to finally lodge a review request (I had to subscribe to NordVPN and connected via Israel in order to get the SMS to send correctly to verify my identity).

Once I had the review requested I waited. After a about 20 days I received an email from fb saying one of my recovery email accounts may have been compromised and I had the option to flag which ones I wanted to disconnect from my account. I disconnected the compromised email address and my hopes rose.

unfortunately after 30 days of my review being recorded the message changed to say that the period for a review had expired and my account was permanently deleted.

Very dissapointed with FB. When they say they are reviewing my account I would have expected some communication before they simply deleted it. If I had known that was going to happen I would have pushed harder while the account was user review. (Not that I can think of anything different I could have done). A moments review would have shown that my account had been hacked and they could have asked me to reset my password.

Anyway, now I have lost access to all the Meta applications. Messenger, WhatsApp, Instagram and Occulus. I had purchased  hundreds of dollars of Occulus VR applications that are now gone.

I have 20 years of memories in Facebook that are also gone.  I need to change my Mobile number if I want to create a new WhatsApp account.

I know I am a victim of a crime but I wish FB had more respect for me. The silver lining is that now FB are no longer sharing my data and wasting my time. 

I am trying to get my friends to move to Signal so I can message them. Signal is encrypted and doesn’t sell my data.

I know this is not a happy story. If anyone has a contact in Facebook I would love to speak with them. Once my account was banned I couldn’t lodge any complaints or access help or plead my case.

I hope things work out for you. 

Did you find a solution? My sister is having this exact problem. Her account was hacked and then disabled and is threatened at permanent removal and there's no way out of it.
Got the VPN this morning, sadly I am still getting:
"Error Sending SMS
Could not send confirmation SMS. Please check the phone number and try again."
Except that I actually do get the code and have no where to enter it in!

I've tried the VPN from a few different locations, no dice....
Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear. I wonder why it worked for me? I honestly didn't have high expectations but at that point I was willing to check out anything. I tried from Israel when I got through. Very strange, and I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work.
Colter1986 Posts 3 Registration date Sunday April 17, 2022 Status Member Last seen April 17, 2022 2
Apr 17, 2022 at 11:51 PM
Any luck?
Well, after waiting on a decision since March 24th, my account is disabled and everything is GONE. Along with my business instagram account and access to my business facebook page. I dont think there is anyone I can even contact about this. This all happened when I allowed business facebook page to connect to insta. BEWARE, do not allow them to connect! I am devestated!
Yeah this is all ridiculous. I'm still waiting on my time to run out. But you're right, no way to rectify as they are faceless.
I am having the same issue. I reported it and opened up a ticket to get this fixed on my friends account yet no response. My instagram was disabled too and now it says it is gone. Facebook needs to step up their security game and have help hotline, but at this point it is a lost cause.
Are you able to open a new account? I cant seem to be able to open one that will work on the app on my phone (it must recognize the number) also since it’s connected it wont let me open a new Instagram either!
Tuckerdognc > Happyin2022
Feb 13, 2022 at 12:57 PM
So far, I can't do this either. If I attempt to create a new account, I get a "security alert" to confirm my identity, but it's greyed out because I followed FB's recommendation to remove my phone from my account when I tried going dow the "Hacked account" route. From all these posts I'd say I'm probably screwed. At least I downloaded my info a few months ago.
Langox510x > Tuckerdognc
Updated on Mar 23, 2022 at 07:43 PM
Very sorry to hear. Maybe your account is gone but get a VPN for a new account and you should be able to get past a security alert, I believe.
I know the answer. The sad part is that literally thousands of good Facebook accounts are shut down over this same issue, and until today around noon I was just like you.

Anyways, I got a VPN, and I got it at a discount off of eBay. I was at the point where it had been well over a week of trying to resolve this issue, spending hours trying to see if I could get my account back with no luck.

So I got a VPN and changed my location to Israel. Maybe 5 minutes later I was able to enter the code and my account was verified. I almost lost my 12 hear old Facebook account for good. ????
Using a VPN allowed you to have a location to enter the verification code? Like somehow fixed the glitch? Or to open a new facebook account without being blocked?

I'm not sure how a VPN will fix my issue
Langox510x > csam
Mar 23, 2022 at 07:40 PM
It literally allowed me to get the SMS text message and go onto a new screen. I'm no expert but I think maybe the HTML code is different for other counties, so it might be broken here in America but it was working in Isreal. This is just my speculation. This allowed me to verify my account and after 7 days just waiting for the clock to run out and my account to get permanently disabled, finally my account is out of hot water and I can access my Facebook.

Please try it, I think it will help you even if your account is permanently disabled, as I read that Facebook was disabling new accounts with the same name.

I ordered KeepSolid, which you can get a life time membership on eBay for $35, or you can get a 7 day trial for free if you don't want to spend the money, just make sure to cancel after.

Please let me know if this helps.

Alex
csam > Langox510x
Mar 23, 2022 at 07:44 PM
Wow thank you! Worth a try...I'll let you know if it works
Langox510x > csam
Apr 2, 2022 at 01:12 AM
Copy and Pasted from another member:

How to get past Facebook Error

Just had this issue and got it FINALLY resolved using this method:
0. Close out of Facebook on any browsers you're on
1. Get a VPN and change your IP to a far away foreign country
2. Try to log in and get to the point were it asks you to verify, maybe have it send a text code to you (not sure if it makes a difference)
3. Repeat step 1 and 2 again (I did it a few times, not sure how many is required)
4. Close your browser and disconnect the VPN
5. Try to log in to Facebook again and you should see something asking if you tried to login somewhere else (if you do not get this try again. Might need to get on facebook on a different device while on the VPN and Facebook on your first device)
6. Select "No" that it wasn't you and you should be prompted to reset your password.
7. Create a new password
8. You should get an email saying you changed your password. There should be a link that says "if you didnt do this please secure your account." Click the link!
9. IMPORTANT: Follow the prompts to secure your account by changing your password and it should ask you to delete any emails or phone numbers that you do not recognize.
10. IMPORTANT: Remove your phone number from the account! Then click a time a two to complete the process.
kac1022 > Langox510x
Apr 20, 2022 at 08:52 AM
Bought the $35 VPN on eBay just now. Waiting for the license to redeem/activate. Do you recommend those exact steps above that you copy and pasted from the other user? I am nervous I'm gonna screw this up and taking the steps seriously.
I tried for a few days until randomly the code thing worked. Sent through my ID. Now I'm waiting for the review, but not that hopeful given other experiences from people on here.
Xamandaxlynnx13
Apr 15, 2022 at 04:02 PM
Any updates? Same thing happened to me. Was able to finally put in code using VPN. Now waiting for review with about 23 days left.
FAIL, I am still waiting, it says:
You disagreed with the decision
ON MARCH 24, 2022
It usually takes us just over a day to review your information.
lzied Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday April 6, 2022 Status Member Last seen April 20, 2022 > csam
Apr 20, 2022 at 04:49 AM
@csam , same thing still waiting for the reply,
applied on April 10, 2022 and 11 days left to be disabled permanently :(

Btw, Should we care about the days left, or it is fine since we disagreed with decision ?.
Thanks
csam > lzied Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday April 6, 2022 Status Member Last seen April 20, 2022
Apr 20, 2022 at 06:47 AM
NO, they did not care that a review was being requested. My account was deleted after the deadline. I was requesting the review March 24, and my account was deleted April 18. Way past the "one day" its supposed to take. I dont think anyone is working or managing facebook anymore....I tried emailing them, contacting them through the meta business messenger, everything. No replies.
Xamandaxlynnx13 > csam
Apr 20, 2022 at 08:13 AM
I've lost track of how many emails I have now sent to Facebook. It's ridiculous. I have 19 days left. I am not feeling hopeful. You can't even call anyone. It's frustrating.
SBM > Xamandaxlynnx13
May 6, 2022 at 01:52 PM
I have 14 days left, the VPN worked but now I am waiting for any miracle
Xamandaxlynnx13
Apr 16, 2022 at 04:25 PM
That's what mine is currently saying. I had VPN set for Israel and it finally let me enter the pin. Now still waiting with the message that says you disagreed with this decision on April 14th. How long does it usually take? Anyone?
Maybe your circumstance is different than mine but I had this happen to two accounts with my name and both were resolved pretty immediately.
I have experienced this problem. My account must have been hacked and now I am blocked for Sending Child Exploitation material. I am unable to advise Facebook that I have been hacked because I am unable to verify my identity. Facebook says it will send a code to my phone. This works. I receive the code. Unfortunately the screen says there was an error sending the SMS and there is therefore no place to enter in the code to verify my identity. I repeated the process and now it says I have attempted it too often and have to wait 24 hrs. I have set up an Israel VPN and will try again once the 24 hr block is lifted. In my opinion this is a Facebook coding bug which could very well cost me 15 years of Facebook memories and my only connection with many of my old friends.
The same happened to me :c
Now I´m waiting for any FB response as I only have 14 days left till they disable my account forever
Strange_007 Posts 1 Registration date Sunday May 15, 2022 Status Member Last seen May 15, 2022
May 15, 2022 at 09:17 AM
Same thing here. Did it worked? Please give an update. Thx!
Hello, @unityFan, Any luck on getting it to work? I have done the same as you, ie removed my phone number at the steps etc, but it is still saying the too many times enter and now wait 24 hours? After the 24 hours and using the VPN did it ask for the phone again and then take you to the next screen to be able to enter that code?
HelpiOS Posts 12828 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2022 1,827
Sep 14, 2021 at 04:43 PM
Hi,

In this case, I suggest you try reporting the issue to Facebook using this dedicated form.

Hope this helps
I am having same issue and that link doesn't work either...it just sits there after I fill in all the fields and press send (it doesn't send) I'm guessing because I am not logged into an account?
Tuckerdognc > happyin2022
Feb 13, 2022 at 12:58 PM
Which link? Did you get to open another account? I can't even do that.
jaceiondale Posts 1 Registration date Saturday December 11, 2021 Status Member Last seen December 12, 2021 3
Dec 11, 2021 at 04:09 PM
my instagram has also disappeared and messenger doesnt work, though i am still receiving notifications???
Happyin2022 > jaceiondale Posts 1 Registration date Saturday December 11, 2021 Status Member Last seen December 12, 2021
Dec 11, 2021 at 06:14 PM
Yeah…IG and FB are connected. That happened to me to but if you click on notifications it wont let you log in…your account is still there…just turned off from being visible. Wish I knew how to fix them!!
Quins > jaceiondale Posts 1 Registration date Saturday December 11, 2021 Status Member Last seen December 12, 2021
May 31, 2022 at 09:02 AM
Same here
Did you get this fixed? I am having the same issue and the link the other person responded with doesn't work for me either!!!
Have you gotten anywhere with this since you posted a few days ago? My sister is having the same problem and she's on a countdown to have her account permanently disabled with no way to request a review to recover it.
Tuckerdognc > robin36robin
Feb 13, 2022 at 12:53 PM
Same issue. February 2022.
i am having the exact same issue!!
my instagram has also disappeared and messenger doesnt work, though i am still receiving notifications???
Has anyone gotten past this? I am also in the same boat and have 18 days left before they permanently delete I'm losing my mind!
robin36robin > KPOCK23
Dec 2, 2021 at 02:21 PM
I posted on my Facebook asking for help and if anyone knew someone who worked there. A friend of a friend said he'd elevate the case and it took a week or more but was just resolved on Thanksgiving and the account saved before getting to the 30 days. I don't know if it really would have been deleted but you can imagine it's completely stupid that that could happen unwillingly and that my only resolution was an inside person.
Rstephens313 > robin36robin
Dec 9, 2021 at 09:20 AM
Do you have contact info to someone within fb? I’ve had this same thing happen and I’ve reached out multiple times, reported the issue and have heard nothing. Any help would be great!! As most people, I don’t want to lose the memories I have posted from my account over the pst 15 years
robin36robin > Rstephens313
Dec 9, 2021 at 09:33 AM
I'm sorry but I don't. When I posted about it on Facebook and friend contacted a friend and let him know and I never had his info. Did you have same issue where it was a hacking and then suspended account?
Rstephens313 > robin36robin
Dec 9, 2021 at 09:38 AM
Yes, it sounds like the exact same situation! I have created a new account so I can try to reach a contact there. Otherwise, from my old account, it just wants me to review the post/page that needs review but it’s a dead end. It just keeps spinning and never takes me anywhere to actually review…
Very sorry to hear. Keep trying to see if you can switch to another location and resubmit. I am so grateful this worked for me, but I want other people to get their accounts back as well.

Sad thing is, once I got back, 1 day later I caught a 30 day suspension, smh...