My SD card does not have the GB it should have

Solved/Closed
Splatalex Posts 1 Registration date Monday March 21, 2022 Status Member Last seen March 21, 2022 - Updated on Mar 21, 2022 at 06:27 PM
elliot15 Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday June 21, 2022 Status Member Last seen July 10, 2022 - Jul 6, 2022 at 06:52 PM
mi tarjeta SD no tiene los GB que deberia tener
tengo una tarjeta SD de 64GB pero pone que tiene 2,96GB, que hago? de sistema de archivos tiene FAT32

Translated:
I have a 64GB SD card but it says it has 2.96GB, what do I do? the file system is FAT32
Related:

3 responses

HelpiOS Posts 14311 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 24, 2024 1,891
Updated on Mar 22, 2022 at 06:48 PM
Hi,

You have posted your question on the English forum. I will answer you in English so that your topic will be useful to other people who have the same issue as you. If you are more comfortable with your native language, feel free to repost your question on the Spanish forum.

If the size is wrong, your SD card may not be properly partitioned or may have been counterfeited to show more capacity than it has.

What you can do is to use Diskpart to try to fix it. Note that this method will format and erase all data on the SD card.

Open Command Prompt and run it as administrator. Type the following and hit Enter after each command:
  • diskpart
  • list disk
  • select disk x (change x with the number corresponding to the SD card)
  • clean
  • create partition primary
  • format fs=fat32

Hope this helps.

Good luck

nathanwirth Posts 324 Registration date Thursday May 22, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 27, 2022 28
Jul 6, 2022 at 02:59 AM
Usually, SD card not show full capacity happens because some card readers or host devices are not compatible with the larger SDHC and SDXC cards. If the reader or host is not compatible with the larger capacity, the card will be repartitioned to a size that is supported.

You can use a command prompt to repair the SD card showing less space

Step 1: In Windows 10, for example, type cmd in the search box, and you can get the best match called Command Prompt. Right-click on it and choose "Run as administrator".

Step 2: On the Command Prompt black window, type diskpart and press "Enter".
Step 3: Now type list disk and press "Enter". All the disk drives will be listed, including your SD card connected to the computer.
Step 4: Refer to the list disk information, type select disk + disk number; for example, select disk 2 and press enter. You're telling diskpart to format disk 2.
Step 5: Go on to type clean. This step starts to clean up all files and folders on the selected hard disk.
Step 6: Type create partition primary and press "Enter".
Step 7: After diskpart successfully created the specified partition, type format fs=ntfs (or format fs=exfat) and press "Enter". You're telling diskpart to format the drive with a file system, let it be NTFS, exFAT, etc.
Step 8: At last, assign a drive letter to the newly created partition by typing assign.

All the best!
elliot15 Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday June 21, 2022 Status Member Last seen July 10, 2022
Jul 6, 2022 at 06:52 PM
Just re-format it in NTFS. It's a simple process. I'm assuming it's on your PC, just connect it to the system. Open up File Manager, then right-click on the SD Card and select Format. For Capacity, make sure it has your full capacity there, if not, try selecting it from the drop down menu. File system, select NTFS, for Allocation unit size, select Default.

Alternatively, you can use Disk Management. Just type Disk Management into the Type here to search box (of Windows 10), then click on Create and format hard drive partitions. Then delete the current partition for your SD card, by right-clicking on it and select Delete partition. Now you can reformat, it will allow you to determine partition size.