How to merge WhatsApp backup from old phone to same WhatsApp

Solved/Closed
WhatsUpWae Posts 1 Registration date Sunday January 22, 2023 Status Member Last seen January 22, 2023 - Updated on Feb 19, 2023 at 03:26 PM
HelpiOS Posts 14296 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 15, 2024 - Jan 22, 2023 at 04:09 PM

I have recently migrated from a OnePlus3 to a OnePlus8Pro. The problem is as I have been toggling between the two phones and utilising What'sApp on both (having to wait to verify device), What's App on my new phone had an older back up, and whilst I've been trying to resolve this by going between the two phones, I have been acquiring new messages on both devices when I am on a particular device. I thought that backing up my messages on my old device, then going to my new one would mean that I could merge all the messages by restoring the backup I had just done on my old phone, but I have no idea how to do this or whether this is indeed possible. What a palaver. I feel that this should be simple but What'sApp doesn't appear to have made it so. Any help would be gratefully appreciated as I'm the kind of person that likes to keep his messages and ideally of course all in one place.

Windows / Firefox 109.0

Related:

1 response

HelpiOS Posts 14296 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 15, 2024 1,891
Jan 22, 2023 at 04:09 PM

Hi,

There's no official way to merge two WhatsApp backups together. However, I found a method on XDA forum that may work to merge backups, but it will require some technical knowledges. I recommend you creating a copy of your backups before.

Alternatively, you can export your old chats manually to keep a copy of them in a text file. Open a chat, select the picture of your contact and select Export Chat > Attach Media > Mail. The 10,000 latest messages will be included - 40,000 messages if you don't attach the media.

Good luck