Downloading photo with capture date

Solved/Closed
wkyukon - Feb 18, 2023 at 11:25 AM
Alexblue_1880 Posts 4 Registration date Friday February 24, 2023 Status Member Last seen February 25, 2023 - Feb 24, 2023 at 03:09 PM

Hello,

I want the photos I download from WhatsApp to appear in capture date order in Photos but all I get is the date I downloaded the photo. Is there any way around WhatsApp stripping off all the metadata so I can find the photos original date?

Macintosh / Safari 16.3

Related:

1 response

Alexblue_1880 Posts 4 Registration date Friday February 24, 2023 Status Member Last seen February 25, 2023 2
Feb 24, 2023 at 03:09 PM

Yes, it is possible to restore the original capture date for photos downloaded from WhatsApp even if the metadata has been stripped off. Here are a few options you can try:

1. Use a third-party app: There are several third-party apps available that can help you restore the original metadata for your photos. One such app is called "Photo Exif Editor" for Android or "ExifWizard" for iOS. These apps can read the file's contents and enable you to edit the metadata for each photo, including the capture date.

2. Rename the file: You can try renaming the downloaded file with the date that the photo was taken. To do this, open the file in a file explorer app, and then rename the file to the date that you think the photo was taken (for example, "2022-02-24.jpg"). This can help you locate the photo more easily in your Photos app.

3. Use a metadata editor: If you're comfortable using a more advanced tool, you can use a metadata editor like ExifTool to manually restore the metadata for your photos. This tool allows you to view and edit the metadata for each photo, including the capture date.

Keep in mind that some of these options may require some technical knowledge and may take some time to complete. However, they can be effective in restoring the original capture date for your photos downloaded from WhatsApp.