Yahoo Emails in Folders Have Disappeared

Closed
rcali - Mar 24, 2023 at 08:33 PM
HelpiOS Posts 14321 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen May 3, 2024 - Mar 28, 2023 at 10:01 AM

Hello,

I'm basically my poor wife's IT support.  She saves a lot of emails (over the years) in folders that she's created so she can find them again later on.  Today she came to me with the issue that around 2 or 300 saved emails in those folders have mysteriously vanished.  She relies on these things to work as designed - so when they don't it's a big issue.  I have created a restore request (for all the good that will do) but I'm wondering:

1.  Is it a common problem?  

2.  How did it happen - Did some server drop the ball during a replication?

3. Is there anything else I can do to help?

Macintosh / Safari 16.2

Related:

1 response

HelpiOS Posts 14321 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen May 3, 2024 1,887
Mar 28, 2023 at 10:01 AM

Hi,

I suspect a sync issue - if your wife sync her account across her devices using a 3rd-party software, like Thunderbird or Outlook, it may be possible that something went wrong when the software tried to sync the folders with Yahoo's servers to finally send the information that the folders are empty, causing Yahoo's servers to clear the folders - as if your wife deleted the folders by herself.

That's said, you should make sure the Yahoo account is not compromised. Review the recent login attempts on the Recent Activity page. Here are also the steps to recognize a hacked Yahoo account (and how to secure it).

Regarding the missing emails, did you try searching for them using the search box in the Yahoo Mail website? You can add search parameters, such as keywords, filter by subject, date, etc. If the search was also unsuccessful, sending a restore request is the best thing to do.

Hope this helps.