Valid Mobile Number Not Recognized

steven44 - Sep 29, 2023 at 01:37 PM
HelpiOS Posts 14329 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen May 13, 2024 - Oct 2, 2023 at 01:36 PM

Hi,
I have contacted Whatsapp Support 12 times (!) over several weeks but all I get is bot generated "answers" that are irrelevant to the problem. 

PROBLEM:
I got a new mobile number and can't register it. On the "Enter Your Phone Number" page, I enter my number using the CORRECT international format, but Whatsapp always returns this error "The phone number you entered is not a valid mobile number for United States". 

Except that it is a valid mobile number with a large provider. Whatsapp seems to think that it is a landline or VoIP or an unallocated number. 

One possibility (just guessing): My area code was activated in October 2022. Could it be that Whatsapp has not updated its database yet and thinks this area code is invalid? 

Any suggestions anyone? 

NOT THE PROBLEM: 
* Yes, the number uses the correct international format - I have done this lots of times before.  
* Yes, there is a SIM card in the phone, the cellular service is active, the signal is strong, data is activated. 
* All other apps & services work. 
Thanks
Steven

Related:

1 response

HelpiOS Posts 14329 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen May 13, 2024 1,885
Oct 2, 2023 at 01:36 PM

Hi Steven,

Your idea regarding the area code is relevant. It is indeed possible that WhatsApp haven't included the new area code, even if I think it normally should... If you've another phone number with that same area code, you can test it with WhatsApp to see if you obtain the same error.

I also see another possibility. Let's suppose that phone number was owned by someone else in the past, and used WhatsApp in a manner that goes against the rules of the platform. They blocked that number and it is no longer possible to use it on WhatsApp. That person unsubscribed from their mobile service provider then. Today, that same number that's blocked from using WhatsApp has been assigned to you when subscribing, causing this registration error.