Computer shut off randomly

Closed
Jackie - Aug 26, 2009 at 01:13 PM
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 - Aug 26, 2009 at 02:34 PM
Hello,

I have a laptop that runs Vista, it always restarts randomly. I notice this happens a lot (not only) when I am on IE. I tried using Firefox but the same happens. I tried to restore my laptop to the original manufacture setting but still have the same problem. This laptop is only 1 year old but I am so frustrated with it that I am ready to get rid of it!!! Can someone help? Should I change to a more reliable OS, I feel Vista is not good at all.

Thanks.
Jackie

3 responses

sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Aug 26, 2009 at 01:16 PM
have you checked the air vents are clear for your cpu fan. sometimes if this is clogged the system overheats and shuts down
My laptop is on an open space where nothing is blocking the air vent. Is it somthing internal I need to disassemble? Sorry if my question sounds silly...I am not too good with the computer stuff...
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Aug 26, 2009 at 02:34 PM
you notice the hot area on the side of the laptop? normally top left as you look at it. this is where the cpu fan expels the hot air. there's a mesh over this vent. check that it is not blocked with fluff etc. give it a good blow out.

I had a friends laptop displaying similar issue and after cleaning the fan area it stopped shutting down.

that's one reason for the issue.