No post beep and boot after I turn the power

Closed
pzyck - Sep 1, 2009 at 10:04 AM
 Blocked Profile - Sep 1, 2009 at 11:15 AM
Hello,

I have this problem, when I try to turn the power on, all the fans works and the computer starts but it stops while reading the cd-rom/cd player and does not beep like it normally does.

It started like this, about a year ago, I always kept my computer ON for about a year without turning it off, except if I'm going out of my apartment for long trips. It never had any problems before I relocated to my parents house. When I reconnected/re-assembled it again, it started getting some errors like "checksum bad", my dad suggested that maybe I didn't updated my WINDOWS and other things like JAVA, and so I did, worked fine for two days but got worse on the 3rd day. I ignored it for a while, but after a week or so I suddenly got the blue screen but when I restart it, it would work fine so I ignored it also, and after that it started getting worse, like re-starting itself after turning it on for 5 mins, or won't beep/boot(fans and power working fine) at the first time I press the power button, but works fine after I press the reset button. I kept ignoring all of it until now(after 4 months) when it just won't boot anymore, no beeps, I can hear the HDD running for about 4 to 5 secs but stops after that.

I bought my computer on nov.2005
pentium4 540(3.20GHz)
RAM pc3200 512(x2)
HDD 250 S-ATA
Video Card: GeForce6600, DDR3 256mb

I tried doing a lot of things like, changing the battery on the mobo, disconnecting the HDD or the RAM but no success, haven't tried the eraser trick though, because I do not know how to.

I just want to know what is/are the problem/s of my computer
Thanks and more power!
-pzyck
Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
Sep 1, 2009 at 11:15 AM
I suggest you check you power supply, sometimes due to unstable voltage you get all sort of hardware error and also, make sure your parent's electrical installation have a proper earthing.

I had a p4 running all day long for 1year and a half, the power supply had problems, and the capacitors on the main-board were all inflated-like, had to change main-board because of that, the inflated capacitor cause the voltage on the board to become erratic.