Can i link two pcs to one disk drive

Closed
pacman - Sep 2, 2009 at 09:01 AM
sadgurl Posts 697 Registration date Thursday May 14, 2009 Status Member Last seen November 24, 2010 - Sep 2, 2009 at 09:32 AM
Hello,
hi i have a desktop also a laptop both have cd/dvd drives my problem is i recently bought a dell netbook without a cd/dvd drive , now my netbook comes up with a fault which need sa windows restore can i link into one of the other pcs with a ehernet cable ? and run the disc from that drive if so what do i have to configure

cheers peter
Related:

1 response

sadgurl Posts 697 Registration date Thursday May 14, 2009 Status Member Last seen November 24, 2010 219
Sep 2, 2009 at 09:32 AM
Hello

Under normal condition you can do the link, you just have to share the device you want to read. but it will be only accessible from windows.

In you case i think to use a windows restore disc you have to boot on this disc, so you wont be able to access it from a share drive over a network, a solution would be to use the boot from lan features, but check if your pc support it and also dedicated software or a windows 2000 or server. Note that this can be quite complicated