Windows updated itself and now won't boot up

Closed
ed - Sep 9, 2009 at 07:53 PM
 kmk - Dec 11, 2009 at 05:46 PM
Hi guys,

I have a Toshiba laptop running XP. Today windows automatically updated itself and restarted. But it now won't load up windows at all. It just gets to the windows loading screen with the bar and then crashed and restarts again and again.

I've clicked F8 and can't boot up in Safe mode or from 'previous configuration that worked' etc. all of the options in F8 just crash again after it starts loading windows.

I don't have the windows recovery disk or whatever. What can I do?

thanks in advance
Related:

3 responses

Problem solved. I was able to boot from LAN via BIOS.
Guru Of Oreos
Sep 9, 2009 at 08:35 PM
Do you have another computer?

If so, remove the HD from the Toshiba and put it in a bay in the of the other computer. When you run the other computer, copy system files from it and place them in a folder on the computer. Then, delete all the data on the HD. Finally, copy the files BACK to the HD, put it back in the laptop, and boot!

Enjoy!

Oreo!!!

( )) ))) CRAYOLA PENCILS! ))) ))) ))>
Thanks but that sounds like a nightmare. I'm not that technical and have no idea how to remove the hard drive from my Toshiba laptop and add it to my Dell PC. Is that even possible? Can't I fix this somehow when I switch the laptop on. I can'y beleive Microsoft has just broken my laptop with its updates....its ridiculous.
Thanks but that sounds like a nightmare. I really don't know how to remove the HD from my Toshiba and add it to my Dell PC. Is that even possible? Surely there must be an easier way. All that happened was bloody windows did an automatic update then restarted itself and now won't boot. Please help anyone??
This has just happened to my laptop. Did you get yours fixed?!?!
Hi Missy,

Yes I did thanks. I basically managed to get another XP pro disk. Then booting up from the new disk I was able to then get into the advanced settings and and run a repair on the disk. after that, I was able to get back into windows.

seems ok now...touch wood!

good luck.

Ed
I have the same problem except I have a Toshiba netbook, so I don't have a CD drive to boot from. What can I do about it? Thanks for any help.