Can't connect to internet

Closed
Dark M - Jul 23, 2008 at 08:41 PM
 Dark M - Jul 24, 2008 at 03:45 AM
Hello,
I have a Windows XP Home and am connected to a local network with a few other computers - Windows Vista and Windows 2000. I can't seem to connect to internet on any of them despite resetting the router. It will work for a few minutes then stop connecting again. Windows Live Messenger kept on coming up with an error about my hosts file when you troubleshoot the connection. I've checked the hosts file but none indicating msn websites nor yahoo (can't connect to that either)

I have AVG 8.0 and spybot S&D running, and spyware terminator on others. I can't seem to get around what is going on with the connection. I don't think anything has been installed over the past few days apart from printer drivers which was more than 12 hours ago. Though I have recently did an online scan on F-Secure but that was also more than 12 hours ago and came out clean. I've used IE and firefox...still don't work.

Does anyone have a similar problem? I hope anyone can help rectify this problem out. I will be very grateful.

Thank you.
Related:

2 responses

You need to check first if you have connectivity to your ISP provider. Do this by going to Windows Network Connections. Right-click LAN and view Status, in General, if you're connected, it will say 'connected' and in Support Tab, it will show your IP address. If not try the ff:
1.) In Network connection, Right-click LAN and choose properties. Under General, scroll down to TCP/IP Internet Protocol, select and click Properties. Make sure "Obtain an IP address automatically" is chosen.
2.)If the above doesn't work, you need to go to your router settings and check if your ISP username login and password is correct.
I am connected to the internet. All the computers can detect the connection ok and have their obtained their own IP addresses automatically. When I tried to do run>ping remote website e.g www.yahoo.com, it appeared for a brief second and then disappeared. It was ok before this internet havoc started.

Router settings all seem ok. Right now, the net seems ok. But I still reckon it will stop working again in a few minutes. It's just making life really hard as I depend on my email for work.