DVD & /CD will read some discs but not other

Closed
Mo - Sep 26, 2009 at 11:37 AM
 Badkarma104 - Oct 28, 2009 at 06:36 AM
Hello, I have a Dell Dimensiion 9150 running Windows XP. I have both a DVD RW and a CD RW. I can read some DVD's & CD's but not others on both devices. Very rarely it even manages to read the DVD/CD's that it previously cant read.

I have purchased DVD movies from shops which it can read and I have burned some DVD's/CD's with Nero which it cant read.

I'm not sure if the problem might be with the burning procedure.

I also have al Dell laptop with Vista and find that it can read all DVD's/CD's that cant be read on my desktop.

Can someone advice please.
Related:

1 response

closeup22 Posts 8923 Registration date Friday May 15, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 7, 2010 2,099
Sep 27, 2009 at 04:19 AM
hi there,

go to device manager and update the firmware of these devices

or make a system restore when they were working perfectly

Thanks
Thanks closeup22, can you please give me step by step instruction to get to device manager and how to upgrade to latest driver?

Many thanks
Mo
Badkarma104 > mo
Oct 28, 2009 at 06:36 AM
hey, I get the same problem, but the device manager does nothing for me.

But go to your control panel, find the "device manager" icon. Click on it and it will bring up a window with you computer name and all devices attached.

You will want to go to your "disk drive" and "DVD/CD Rom drives". Click on the + next to each name for it to expand and show all device within that category.

Double click on the device name and a properties window will pop up. Go to the "driver" tab and click on "Update Driver". Windows will give you 2 options, 1: search online 2: Search on you HDD. If you don't have a CD you need to search online. Make sure you are connected to the net, and it will automatically search for updates.

Once it is done searching, it will either say "your driver is up to date" (or something like that), or give you a list of update you can download and install.

You need to do this for each device. and make sure all the details are correct.

Now this is where my problem is, My driver is up to date and there is no particular website or forum which has any solutions that I have found. I have had this problem before, and just got the Drive replace (warranty). The computer techs said it might have burnt out. I'm using a laptop, so it can't put out that much power. But now I am back I the same boat as I started from, and that was only a few weeks after I got it replaced, and that was almost 2 years ago now.