Pc not starting, cpu turns for a second

Closed
mandev - Sep 28, 2009 at 08:03 AM
 aXXo - Aug 22, 2010 at 05:27 AM
Hello,
This afternoon I turned my pc on, it worked for a while and turned it self off. It restarted, stopped, started then stopped. I pulled out the mains plug and put it in, had a look inside the machine, turned it on and the cpu fan spun around for a second but the pc didn't start. Every time I try to start the pc using the on button, nothing happens. I pull out the mains plug, put it in, press the main on button and the cpu fan spins for a second and stops. I have noticed that there is a little green light on the motherboard when the pc in connected to the mains. I can also hear (when I press my ear to the side of the power unit) a hum, similar to the hum of any electrical item (tv etc) when something is connected to the mains, but not actually on. About 18 months ago, I was cleaning my pc / removing the dust using the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner. I got too close to the cpu fan blades and snapped off one of the blades. The pc worked fine although the fan was quite and has always been noisy as a result. I have been told by many people that I am indeed a 'noob'. I have no idea how to change the fan and it didn't do much so I left it. Looking inside the pc, there is a lot of dust and I will be looking to buy a pc dust spray tomorrow. Can you provide me with any guidance please?! My pc was brought from auspcmarket, as a ready made system and has been very reliable despite me sucking up a cpu fan blade with a vacuum cleaner. PC details are: motherboard: Asus P5B, power unit: GTR 480w, CPU: E6600 2.4ghz. Pc used for gaming mainly with 7900GTO 512mb card. I have 3 fans in the system. One on the cpu, one in the power unit and one in the graphics card. PC has always run very hot. Thanks for any help
Related:

4 responses

there could be temperture issue in your case , as soon as the cpu temperature rises up , it shuts down automatically to prevent the damage , jus clean ur cpu-fan , or dislodge the cpu 4m its socket n have a look if the coolant is present on it in enough quantity, apply some coolant over it . then place ur cpu back . it should work for u