Short cut connection unavailable

Closed
JESS - Oct 6, 2009 at 12:47 PM
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 - Oct 6, 2009 at 01:54 PM
Hello,
I am trying to open up a file on Microsoft word 2003 that I can clearly see when i go to file/open but i get this message "the drive or network connection that the short cut "file name.lnk" refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted and then try again." Pretty self explanitory right? Not really because I don't have that drive, I've never seen it, my boss has no idea what it could be and she really needs this file. Is there a way to open this file without that (f) drive?
Related:

1 response

sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Oct 6, 2009 at 01:54 PM
as you have guessed it is looking for a file that was on the F: drive, this is can be a once networked drive that is no longer mapped, a usb stick, external usb drive.

your only option, assuming that the original file that you are looking for indeed was on your local drive and not on any external, removable source is to do a search for all *.doc files to see if that brings the file up.