XP freezes after login, can't boot in safe mo

Closed
dmh22 - Oct 26, 2009 at 03:03 PM
 Blocked Profile - Oct 28, 2009 at 07:52 AM
Hello,

I've seen variations of this problem but none that match mine. The other day I was downloading music and on the internet. I clicked on a link and it basically froze my computer up so I did a hard shutdown. When I reboot I can login and the desktop comes up and I can see all the programs and folders and a few programs start loading and then it freezes. I can move the mouse but can't click on anything or do control-alt-delete. This happens every time (even when I tried logging in as Administrator). I'm not a computer expert but I've always been able to fix problems in safe mode, however when I try booting in safe mode I get this message "We apologize for the inconvenience but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." It also hangs on Agp440 when loading the drivers in safe mode. I have a Dell D600 desktop. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have an external and most of my things backed up but hadn't backed up for a couple weeks so I need to get the rest of my files. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
Oct 28, 2009 at 07:52 AM
Dear Sir,

Please consider taking a look at the suggestions below please:

Windows XP Freezes at Log In Screen

Thanks.