Cannot recognize SATA WDC Hard Drive

Solved/Closed
Admir2000 Posts 2 Registration date Sunday August 10, 2008 Status Member Last seen August 11, 2008 - Aug 11, 2008 at 02:05 AM
 das - Jan 15, 2015 at 01:21 AM
Hello,

My computer is running much slower in last few months, so I decided to format it and reinstall all applications, including operating system Windows XP.
After I started the installation and checked for computer setup it comes to the step when I am asked:
If I want to repair Windows XP or
Install new version of XP
I choose Install new, but after few minutes on the screen appears following message:
Your computer can not recognize hard drive, make sure your hard drive is powered on and properly connected
Everything is properly connected, because I still use my PC without serious problems....

The hard drive is Western Digital SATA 80 GB

Do you maybe know what could be the problem, is it problem with hard drive controller or something like that.....

Best regards,

Admir Salihovic
Related:

25 responses

Hello SJcote1983!

Here's some humble advice to: the best you can do when some coments of these nature arises is take the good juice out and throw the rest directly into garbage.

I am a computer advanced user (no expert, just advanced) and what I have thought after the "rude" comment was: this comment is very pertinent but extremely rude. This guy might be right but have no sensibility whatsoever to post comments. Maybe he is smart and his point is indeed valid. So I simply ignored the rude part and kept the (eventually positive) alert.

And don't bother answering to the (apparently) jerks. Maybe they are smart persons that just don't know how to write properly. Assume the intention is positive. It will make you feel happier, with less effort.

By the way, it worked from me too. I am very happy.

Thanks to you all.

Assuntos
Woo hoo, it worked for me. I am just wondering what will happen if you changed it back to enabled while the new drive is in. Thank you!
Thanks so much for the advice! Changing the SATA in my HP Pavillion m7680n which also has a Phoenix BIOS to "IDE" finally allowed me to use the XP recovery disks on the newly installed Seagate SATA HD. Who knew?
HIII BRO
I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO CHANGE THE BIOS SATA TO IDE I TRIED TO SEARCH BUT I HAVE NOT FOUND CAN U SAY ME HOW TO DO THAT IN SEQUENCE MANNER
Blocked Profile
Oct 28, 2010 at 09:46 AM
Hi there,

Follow this link for instructions;

https://ccm.net/faq/2370-downgrade-from-windows-vista-to-xp-hdd-s-ata-not-recognized

Thanks
hi there guyz! I got a problem before with my boss's laptop HP COMPAQ 6720s, he wanted me to downgrade his laptop operating system from Vista Basic to XP. when I started to install the Win Xp. a got error saying "no hardisk detected" something like that, upon reading some forums and in here. then I got this problem solved! here is the solution, I restarted the laptop, goto bios setting by pressing f10 during bios start up, disabled the "sata" then save settings, then I try to install XP, then Bingo!!! it works!!!

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
turning off the sata in the bios worked for me.... :) thanks