Excel Date Format

Solved/Closed
moses - Aug 13, 2008 at 01:36 AM
zopfan Posts 7 Registration date Wednesday July 11, 2012 Status Member Last seen August 20, 2018 - Jan 13, 2014 at 06:59 AM
Hello,

when users enter a date in excel using this format 12.1.2008, I need the cell to automatically change the format to 12-Jan-08

thanks,
moses
Related:

2 responses

Hi, select the complete cell right click and go to format cells select the date in the list select the format that u need....
First an important note: when typing a date into a cell you can't type it with dots like 12.1.2008 (Excel won't understand that as a date) but you have to type it with slashes: 12/1/2008

now for your question:

You can format the date in a cell as you desire by following the next steps:

1. Select the cell(s) containing the date(s).
2. Open the menu "format" and choose "cells".
3. On the list on the left choose "custom"
4. In the "type" text field you will see something like m/d/yyyy , delete it, and type the following instead: dd-mmm-yy
5. Click OK.

The key here is the dd-mmm-yy which sais to Excel: give me the day in two digits, the Month in a word, and the year in two digits.

Good luck!

https://www.free-training-tutorial.com/

How can I achieve following stuff through javascript
Shyamal- PeopleSoft Cosultant
Apr 29, 2009 at 03:34 AM
Thanks a lot man, I needed this badly and got this at the right time.

Thanks a ton again...

Cheers,

regards,
Shyamal
Yes, but it still uses the previous format when you try and use the info in a merge doc - even when you insert an extra column and paste as values. Very frustrating!
Thanks Jack! :)
zopfan Posts 7 Registration date Wednesday July 11, 2012 Status Member Last seen August 20, 2018 7
Jan 13, 2014 at 06:59 AM
Hey, I was also a lot confused with a cell entry like this: 2.5.2014. Excel simply wasn't taking/accepting it as a date.
Then I read this post of your that excel won't recognize the digits with dots as a date (rather we have to type the digit inserting hyphens). Peculiar though. Are you positive that there is no way we can force the excel to accept these as dates?